Not roosting

nova022

Songster
8 Years
Aug 3, 2012
Is it okay for a chicken not to use the roost at night. Last night when I closed the coop up my white rock was on the floor in front of the roost. I figured she would hop up for the night and really thought nothing of it. At 4:00 AM when I checked the coop before leaving for work she was still on the floor. She has always used the roost and is usually the first one in place.
She looked fine yesterday afternoon when I fed them some pumpkin. There is pleny of roosting space and I have never seen the others try to keep her off the roost.

was there enough light for her to get up on the roosts?....sometimes if it gets too dark, they will be stuck on the ground.
It was quite dark, so that may be the reason. I sure hope so. A couple nights ago I got home after dark and found them all huddled in a corner. Evidently something had scared them as the waterer was over turned and things were scattered about. They would not move from the corner and they usually come right to me, so I had to pick them up and put them in the coop. My husband held the flashlight for them until they were all on their roosts. We really need some lights out there.

Back
Top Bottom