not so good hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by harris farm, May 15, 2011.

1. harris farm

harris farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Louisiana
    I had 16 green eggs from 1 americana hen. They were small eggs and 8 were from the fridge. In all, only 4 hatched and 2 had problems. They could not stand up for any time. Just laid on their sides. What causes this. I help them up, they fall over and jump like popcorn.

2. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

How old are they? Newly hatched chicks are tired.

Did all of the eggs develop? Did they just not hatch? How was your temps and humidity.

3. Mrs.brown

Mrs.brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    In a coop
    How old were the eggs?

4. harris farm

harris farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Louisiana
    Temp and humidity were good the whole time. 9 eggs were infertile and several eggs went full term but never hatched. and the 4 that did hatch were 2 days late. They were 3 days old.

5. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

It sounds like your temps were low. You need to get a different themometer or check yours.

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    16 eggs from 1 hen means you collected for nearly 3 weeks. That's too long for good results. Some from the fridge means that some were kept too cold. Some not in the fridge may have been kept too warm. 50 to 60 for up to 2 weeks ( 1 week preferable) if all other conditions during the incubation were perfect your results may have been better.
    Sounds like the egg prep was the issue.
    Also, I believe that when storing they should be turned daily.

Rooster fertility, roo, hen ratio, breeder age, daylength, parasites, nutrition and MANY other things play a role.
    1+1 does not always equal 2.

Last edited: May 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by