1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not sure HOW this chick is still hanging on

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lswatson111304, Dec 8, 2011.

1. lswatson111304

lswatson111304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    I have 5 eggs left of my busted/detached air cell shipment. All of them are still moving. 2 air cells don't look horrible, 2 look a little better than this one, but still bad and this one looks HORRIBLE! I don't know how this baby is still hanging on in there and I'm not really holding out much hope.
    [​IMG]
    Day 14

2. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Quote:I've actually hatched some healthy chicks from eggs like your pic from shipped eggs so don't give up on it [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. bikerchic

bikerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Virginia
    I have too! They worried me the entire incubation and the peep popped out just fine!

4. AHDCST

AHDCST Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    [​IMG] Don't give up on them yet! I have had several like that or worse hatch. I even had one that stopped moving while it was hatching and I took a chance and finished pulling away the shell. I knew it might not make it with my help but it wouldn't make it without me trying. I even breathed a couple tiny puffs of air into it's little beak and it made it! It went on to a friend of mine that fostered some of my fall hatch chicks( remind my husband not to put several waves of eggs in the incubator-I ended up with 15 chicks at once!) since I had soo many hatch my brooder box was full as was my schedule. He sent them all on to a friend wanting hens. I don't believe in "locking down" the incubator at day 18. I watch and assist as needed with my little ones. Some times I can help and make a difference and sometimes I help and they fail but I have to try. I can't stand by and watch a helpless little thing try so hard and fail. Everyone has their way of handling the hatch but this is my way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by