Not sure I am thrilled with the hoop house/tractor model

Klop--I had a max of 30 birds in an 8x10 HH. And 2 batches were also free ranged (side of HH propped up each day). The 1st batch was free ranged starting at 5 weeks. I believe I was keeping fewer birds in that sized HH than many. I did move 2x/day.

They all slept together in the same area, so the morning poop slick was the real issue. The day poop was a lot, but reasonably spread out.

I did forget to say--we didnt have rain from the middle of June until I think Oct (maybe 1 or 2 heavy rains in Aug and Sept). Still not much rain. It was a wet spring that dried out rather suddenly.

that isnt a terrible density, but if youwant the poop slick to not happen youwill have to do less birds in that space. I dont think that putting down sand or wood chips will help. the volume of poo will not go down, so you will just have a sandy poo slick.

I think you just got unlucky with the weather on top of it..

Well, the point of sand is that the pool slick won't occur because poop will be mixed in with the sand and won't become so condensed. OP is keeping 30 birds in a 10x8 space, so they aren't over crowded compared to what so many of these chickens are subjected to at factories and commercial farms. But you're definitely right about the weather!

Well, the point of sand is that the pool slick won't occur because poop will be mixed in with the sand and won't become so condensed. OP is keeping 30 birds in a 10x8 space, so they aren't over crowded compared to what so many of these chickens are subjected to at factories and commercial farms. But you're definitely right about the weather!
if he doesnt scoop out to poo every day, then he will still have a poo slick. The fact is that these birds are litterally 2 legged poo factories. they are literally bred to eat, poo, and grow meat! I love my CX broilers and think they are actually some of the best chickens in the flock, but they are going to make mountains of the poo :) It also doesnt help that all chickens poo A LOT at night when they are sleeping.

Since you cant really let them roost on something (you risk chest blisters from resting their keel bone on the roost) you cant really use a poop board type set up for gathering the poo either.

If you do go with sand, but you dont rake out the poo daily (assuming you dont move the HH) i would bet money that says you will have the same result.

I assumed she cleaned it daily or at least moved the HH...if not, you really shouldn't be keeping meat chickens in a tractor....you should either move it daily or take out old sand/chips. So far I think that keeping birds on sand is the best, it has been most practical in my mind. I use it mostly for quail, but it works well for chickens too.

I assumed she cleaned it daily or at least moved the HH...if not, you really shouldn't be keeping meat chickens in a tractor....you should either move it daily or take out old sand/chips. So far I think that keeping birds on sand is the best, it has been most practical in my mind. I use it mostly for quail, but it works well for chickens too.

I suspect the HH was moved daily, but even so a poo slick will build up over night as the birds sleep and poo. They wake up and trample it down into a mat on the ground.

To clarify - I made those comments about the sand with the assumption that if the OP put down sand in the HH it would not be moved around.

Klop--I had a max of 30 birds in an 8x10 HH. And 2 batches were also free ranged (side of HH propped up each day). The 1st batch was free ranged starting at 5 weeks. I believe I was keeping fewer birds in that sized HH than many. I did move 2x/day.

They all slept together in the same area, so the morning poop slick was the real issue. The day poop was a lot, but reasonably spread out.

I did forget to say--we didnt have rain from the middle of June until I think Oct (maybe 1 or 2 heavy rains in Aug and Sept). Still not much rain. It was a wet spring that dried out rather suddenly.

trying to figure out if having a closable sleeping area with bedding which is semi movable is as good as the the HH...

I do free range them during the day but I suspect that if where they sleep is not moved several times during the 8 weeks, I will end up with a large dead grass area anyway. They do not range well after they are 5-6 lbs. What ever I build for the spring will be more tractor than HH, but obviously they are pretty close to the same thing.

Last edited:
Have seen people use a "chick wagon" using some sort of trailer with slats. Good luck getting Cornish X to go into such a structure, they will roost up under it and leave a slick. Hard to not have a poo slick if CX are involved. Maybe you could build a permanent structure with a hard floor and a wire divider. Move the feeder each day and lock them out of one side and clean the other. have a compost bin right next to it. Cut grass and throw it in for food, bedding. If you don't want to look like a "factory farm" it is going to be hard to pull off with animals designed for factory farming.

Have seen people use a "chick wagon" using some sort of trailer with slats. Good luck getting Cornish X to go into such a structure, they will roost up under it and leave a slick. Hard to not have a poo slick if CX are involved. Maybe you could build a permanent structure with a hard floor and a wire divider. Move the feeder each day and lock them out of one side and clean the other. have a compost bin right next to it. Cut grass and throw it in for food, bedding. If you don't want to look like a "factory farm" it is going to be hard to pull off with animals designed for factory farming.

Don't forget the op is free ranging them during the day, so there would be the ability to clean the coop while they are out.

Also, CXs are smarter than most give them credit for. I have a CX hen that is 26 weeks old and lives with my laying flock. She goes into the coop at night and roosts just like every other chicken. She free ranges every day just like every other chicken. She even has free choice food like every other chicken. Just because so many people say they are dumb fat and gross doesn't make it true. It is all about how you raise them.

A friend of mine does exactly what the Op is trying to do with a night structure for lock up then free ranging during the day. He is up at his cabin this week or else I would have him weigh in on how he keeps the coop clean.

They are nice chickens. Very curious and active. They do slow down on activity the last 2-3weeks of life, but range every day and love to find bugs. They did dust bath holes and enjoy sunning themselves when it is not 90. I have video of my middle batch running after moths at dusk. Funny things.

Yes, I also free range. I have no barns as of yet and I am not sure if bringing them in each night and then letting them out in the same grass every day would work--they are poop machines. I think I was just surprised at the poop slick when everything I read said HH/tractors would give you great grass!!! I find it hard to believe that those who put more birds in the same size tractor and only move 2-3x/ day are not getting the large reasonably solid poop slick that I am getting.

The HH gives me safety at night, shelter from rain and wind, a good feeding and watering spot (my feeders and waterer are hung from the HH, so move easily) and is easily modified for worse weather (plastic and alligator clamps). It is heavy and awkward to move and I would have to move it many times a day to keep the birds as clean as I want them to be if I were not free ranging.

I see a tractor as my next build, but maybe one with one end either with wire on the bottom or some other way to allow bedding. I would still move it and still open it for free ranging. Of course, if I build something like that, they will sleep on the grass end of the enclosure!

Back
Top Bottom