Not Sure I Can Do It...

myhubbycallsmechickeemama

Songster
8 Years
May 9, 2011
Arco, ID
I have discovered today that I have 2 RIR hens with bumblefoot. One of them has it on both feet. OMGosh, I'm not sure I can do the surgery without puking all over them!!! :sick I have a very weak stomach!!!

I have looked at the tutorial but dang....

Anyone ever done it that has a weak gag reflex and how did you manage??

I had a brahma a couple of years ago that had what looked like bumblefoot. I put him in a pen by himself for a couple of weeks until he recovered. Sometimes time is the best thing we can give them. I read about the surgery and decided that it would be more cruel to cut into an animal that's not sedated.

Just suck it up and start cutting. It's not as bad as you think. The worst part is the anticipation. Once you start cutting you don't think about it much.

I had a brahma a couple of years ago that had what looked like bumblefoot. I put him in a pen by himself for a couple of weeks until he recovered. Sometimes time is the best thing we can give them. I read about the surgery and decided that it would be more cruel to cut into an animal that's not sedated.

It is not safe to sedate a chicken - vets do not even sedate them for surgery. They do not react at all when you do it and heal very fast.

It is not safe to sedate a chicken - vets do not even sedate them for surgery. They do not react at all when you do it and heal very fast.

They are sedated during surgery, but it is a fast acting, short-lived gas. Still, sedation is the most dangerous part of any surgery on birds.

I have discovered today that I have 2 RIR hens with bumblefoot. One of them has it on both feet. OMGosh, I'm not sure I can do the surgery without puking all over them!!!
sickbyc.gif
I have a very weak stomach!!!
I have looked at the tutorial but dang....
Anyone ever done it that has a weak gag reflex and how did you manage??
I used to be like that... Maggots used to make me gag, sight of blood, etc. 40 years of pet care will fix ya. Two words for ya... "cowboy up"
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom