Not Sure I Can Do It...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by myhubbycallsmechickeemama, Oct 29, 2012.

1. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

myhubbycallsmechickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    I have discovered today that I have 2 RIR hens with bumblefoot. One of them has it on both feet. OMGosh, I'm not sure I can do the surgery without puking all over them!!! :sick I have a very weak stomach!!!

I have looked at the tutorial but dang....

Anyone ever done it that has a weak gag reflex and how did you manage??

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I had a brahma a couple of years ago that had what looked like bumblefoot. I put him in a pen by himself for a couple of weeks until he recovered. Sometimes time is the best thing we can give them. I read about the surgery and decided that it would be more cruel to cut into an animal that's not sedated.

3. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

myhubbycallsmechickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    The one hen's foot is quite swollen so I'm not sure she'll get better with time and I would rather do the surgery on her than have her die of a staph infection. :/

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Just suck it up and start cutting. It's not as bad as you think. The worst part is the anticipation. Once you start cutting you don't think about it much.

5. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    It is not safe to sedate a chicken - vets do not even sedate them for surgery. They do not react at all when you do it and heal very fast.

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    They are sedated during surgery, but it is a fast acting, short-lived gas. Still, sedation is the most dangerous part of any surgery on birds.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    X2!

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I used to be like that... Maggots used to make me gag, sight of blood, etc. 40 years of pet care will fix ya. Two words for ya... "cowboy up" [​IMG]

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You can do it! We are rooting for you![​IMG]

I have only seen bumblefoot once and it was so mild and with no swelling I opted just to observe it.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  10. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    [​IMG] So true! I've only had animals of my own for about a year, but it sure does harden you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by