Not sure if I am being Bs ed or not

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by phaatnsassy, Jan 28, 2014.

1. phaatnsassy

phaatnsassy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    Central Oregon Coast
    I went to my feed store today to get some straw for my girls. while there I started chatting with the clerk about eggs. She had some on the counter and I noticed some that I wanted to get. She told me that chickens only lay for about 2 years and that I needed to get some babies to replace them. Now does anyone know if this is true or is she just trying to get me to buy more chicks?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  2. hosspak

hosspak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    Different breeds will have different lengths of production years. After 2 to 3 years a chickens numbers will start to fall off. I have read in BYC that some go on for longer periods and some shorter. But it will happen eventually. Many people will start to phase in younger birds to replace the older ones.

To answer your question; yes, she is right and she IS trying to get you to buy chicks...that's her job. lol

3. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I have some 8-year-old chickens (Jersey Giants, Brahmas) still laying 4 to 5 eggs a week. I also have some that lay very occasionally, maybe 3 times a month. The younger ones are much more consistent, though.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Sex link birds especially seem to taper off quickly at 2-3 years.

5. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    Some breeds will start to really slow down at about 2-3 y/o. However, other breeds (like RIRs, Australorps, and Barred Plymouth Rocks from my experiences) will lay for a good 5 years, more or less. Since she works for the store, it's possible she also wants to help sell chicks.

6. phaatnsassy

phaatnsassy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    Central Oregon Coast
    Thank you all for your answers. They have been very helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by