not sure if soft shell or eating eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mamaof10hens, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Mamaof10hens

Mamaof10hens Out Of The Brooder

HI ALL,
    Ok here ya go -
    We just got 6 chickens 2wks ago... a 9 mo silkie (she's sassy), a 9 mo polish, a 5 mo jersey giant, and three 5 mo brahmas.
    The silkie and polish are laying - yeah! The jersey and brahmas have not started yet.
    Last weekend, we added 4 RIRsex to the coop, they are about 9 months. We are loving the chickens and are so glad we made the decision. We have a good size 4x6 coop and a 9x12 run. we have not had them free range yet as we wanted them to get used to their new home.

OKAY, question...in the week since we have gotten the 4 RIR we have gotten 3 brown eggs. Is their egg production lower because they are stressed about a new situation? Also, in the past week I have found a few yoke messes with a soft shell (brown) in the boxes or coop. I don;t know if these are RIRs or the 5 mo olds (new layers). I am a little paranoid that they have tasted these a little and may start eating the eggs. Since we have had them, we have given them layer crumbles, cracked corn, food scraps (breads, lettuce, fruit scraps) and some meal worms. I just bought some pellets and once the crumbles run out, i will be feeding them the pellets. I have oyster shells out for them. Any insights, advice, suggestions, or do/don'ts?
    [​IMG]

2. tim_TX

tim_TX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    Soft shelled eggs happen for no real apparent reason from time to time. Just clean up all of the remnants as soon as possible. I wouldn't worry too much unless you start finding good eggs that have been partially eaten.

Feeding too many scraps can contribute to thin or soft shells.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by