Not sure what everyone does with extra chicks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by HeatherLynn, Dec 30, 2010.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I want to put in an order for more hens this year. I want some more ee's and maybe a couple speckled sussex. The problem is the whole 25 minimum. What do you guys do with the extras. Honestly I have 11 layers right now and they do a pretty good job providing eggs. If I double that number I will have enough to provide us, my parents, my sister and a nephew with eggs. I don't really need 25 hens. I guess I could order some cheap roos to eat but the hubby is wanting to avoid roo's this year. The meat is great but the kids are horrible about getting attatched to them. I don't know how I feel about selling the extras. I had every intention that once a chick came here they do not leave. I have the room for them all but thats alot of extra eggs. I don't sell my extras so I don't ever have to worry about regulation.

So what do you guys do.

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

You can order from a place that does small orders, or you can try to find someone to split an order with you...maybe from the Kentucky thread????

3. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    What about ordering from My Pet Chicken? They have lower limits but do cost a little more. Maybe you could find someone in your area that would split an order with you?

I just hatch my own now and the extra roos go to freezer camp.

4. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    Our local feed mill takes poultry orders and pools them to make the minimum. I also posted an ad on Craigslist last time I ordered and I split an order with someone who lives near me. I ordered Blue Laced Red wyandottes as my extras once and listed them on Craigslist before they even came. I had three relpies the first day. Someone came and got them the day they were delivered.

5. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
  6. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I am shooting for a dozen and the cost is a good bit more that way unfortunately. I would just get what I can from feed store but I only get males when I buy from ours. Literally all males.

I check with my pet chicken and its going to cost roughly 20 more for about half the number of chicks. I think I might try to find a partner in crime to split with or I guess maybe sell extras. Any ideas on what breeds of hens I will find homes for easier?

7. heather112588

heather112588 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    Any luck with finding a local breeder? it will save you a fortune! try craigslist.

8. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Quote:It's usually pretty easy to find homes for Easter Eggers if you need to round out your order. People love the blue/green eggs, and the chicks are super cute with their little cheeks.

9. tennesseeckn

tennesseeckn Real or not real?

Jul 11, 2010
    Knoxville Area
    As for what sells best, I think it varies by area. For some reason, everyone I talk to here in my area wants Silver Laced Wyandottes for "pet" chickens. The people who are buying for eggs will go with Sex Links. That's helps a whole lot, huh?

10. startingover

startingover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Northern Kentucky
    Get them and when the Poultry Swaps start up again you can sell them there - or try Craigslist. You are about an hour and half from me - a little farther than I like to drive - but I would take them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by