Not sure what I have here PLZ HELP!!

ann k

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 7, 2014
Central California
We took better pics of the hens, hope they help

This one just came into the flock from I don't know where last night.

One in the middle was give to me, she lays tiny white eggs.

The black and whites we have had for about 2 months. I was told they are ready to lay eggs when we got them, but still nothing.
II got both of these girls 2wks ago, the darker one is already laying eggs, they are a small brown egg. Was told they would be large.

Any help would be great....lol
Thank you for your time here.

Last edited:
This one just came into the flock from I don't know where last night. Clearer photos would help, but I'm thinking gamebird mix.

One in the middle was give to me, she lays tiny white eggs. The two black/white birds are probably Barred Plymouth Rocks. The little hen is an Old English Game bantam or a mix of that breed.

II got both of these girls 2wks ago, the darker one is already laying eggs, they are a small brown egg. Was told they would be large. Both are Production Reds.

Any help would be great....lol
Thank you for your time here.

I agree with BantamLover21 and Wyandottes7. You have a Game bird mix (top 2 photos), 2 Barred Rocks and an Old English Game bantam (center photo), and two Production Reds (bottom photo).

I agree with BantamLover21 and Wyandottes7. You have a Game bird mix (top 2 photos), 2 Barred Rocks and an Old English Game bantam (center photo), and two Production Reds (bottom photo).

x3

...and don't worry about the Production Reds...all pullets start with "teenage" size eggs...smaller...when they first start to lay. In a few weeks, you will begin to see an increase in size until they come up to full size sometime during their first laying year. Then they molt, and the eggs will increase to fullest size, often extra large depending upon breed but especially with Prod Reds, during their second laying year, but decrease some in quantity. Then they molt, and come back with big eggs and less production...The first two years are the best production years with the Production Reds.

Lady of McCamley

@ann k

QUOTE: What are pro. hens mix with?"

Depends on the hatchery...they generally are based off of RIR's or NH's but may have other layer types infused, usually some Leghorn thrown back in if my memory is correct...they are typically a RIR strain bred at the hatchery of their best layers that due to the breeding is red based colored. This is vs. careful breeding of RIR's or NH's so that you keep the breed standard....ie the birds are properly colored and shaped.

They are laying machines...for the first two years or so.

Lady of McCamley

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom