Not sure what is wrong with my hen. Please help!!

Chickiee

Songster
7 Years
Feb 13, 2012
Jackson, WI (Southeast WI)
Pleeeease see if you can help my hen. "Spring" was not quite herself (just a bit sluggish) but didn't have any concerning signs a week and a half ago. I went out of town for a few days and when I got back noticed she had not "bounced back". Her underside (back end 2-3 inches below her vent) was enlarged and hard last Sunday. I thought she was possibly eggbound, soaked her in warm water, massaged the enlarged area as it was very hard, she tried a very tiny bit of crushed Tums hidden in tiny bread crumbs, then back to the coop she went for the night. Next day, still enlarged, tried soaking her again while massaging. She didn't want to eat or drink anything I gave her. Didn't think she was going to make it thru the night as she kept closing her eyes and falling asleep in the sink while soaking. Back in the coop. A day or two later I began to wonder if maybe she had "water belly", sent hubby to go buy 1" 18 gauge needles, tried to drain any liquid in 3 different spots with the needle only (minus the syringe). Didn't really work... All we got was 4 drops of light yellow liquid. That was enough of that... Couldn't handle poking her anymore and back in the coop (nest box) she went. Last night tried soaking and massaging again. Today, she is still enlarged, still not moving much, aware of her surroundings, but hanging out in the nest box and I don't think she's really eating. Her eyes are looking not too terrific... nothing specific wrong with them, just looking tired and in pain. I really don't know what else to try. Could it be internal laying? What would my next step be? Thanks for any help you're able to provide!

does she do any straining or tail pumping? is her tail in it's normal position or is it drooping? does she walk at all? if so, does she waddle rather than walk? I don't think that it's internal laying, the enlarged area would be spongy or mushy if that were the case. someone else may have more ideas .

Pleeeease see if you can help my hen. "Spring" was not quite herself (just a bit sluggish) but didn't have any concerning signs a week and a half ago. I went out of town for a few days and when I got back noticed she had not "bounced back". Her underside (back end 2-3 inches below her vent) was enlarged and hard last Sunday. I thought she was possibly eggbound, soaked her in warm water, massaged the enlarged area as it was very hard, she tried a very tiny bit of crushed Tums hidden in tiny bread crumbs, then back to the coop she went for the night. Next day, still enlarged, tried soaking her again while massaging. She didn't want to eat or drink anything I gave her. Didn't think she was going to make it thru the night as she kept closing her eyes and falling asleep in the sink while soaking. Back in the coop. A day or two later I began to wonder if maybe she had "water belly", sent hubby to go buy 1" 18 gauge needles, tried to drain any liquid in 3 different spots with the needle only (minus the syringe). Didn't really work... All we got was 4 drops of light yellow liquid. That was enough of that... Couldn't handle poking her anymore and back in the coop (nest box) she went. Last night tried soaking and massaging again. Today, she is still enlarged, still not moving much, aware of her surroundings, but hanging out in the nest box and I don't think she's really eating. Her eyes are looking not too terrific... nothing specific wrong with them, just looking tired and in pain. I really don't know what else to try. Could it be internal laying? What would my next step be? Thanks for any help you're able to provide!

Do you have any photos of her and the "swelling"?
What does her poo look like?
Does she stand at all?
Could be "internal laying", Peritonitis. If you were getting yellow liquid out, then it is most likely Peritonitis. (Ascites is usually associated with "water belly" and clear liquid being drawn).
Some people are able to successfully give supportive care /relief with antibiotics, which may prolong/improve her condition for a while.
You want to make sure she is hydrated, giving water or vitamin/electrolyte water either by dropper, syringe or even tube feeding if she won't drink. See if she will eat her regular poultry ration (wet it if necessary). Tuna or egg is also good if she will eat that.

http://www.hobbyfarms.com/livestock-and-pets/6-causes-of-chicken-swollen-abdomen.aspx
http://luckyhensrescuenorthwest.weebly.com/egg-bound-henegg-peritonitis-help-sheet.html
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding
https://www.beautyofbirds.com/eggyolkperitonitis.html
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/p.../egg_peritonitis_in_poultry.html?qt=&sc=&alt=

Ok, so I took a video of her taking some steps, but I can't figure out how to upload it here from my phone. She had moved into the sunshine and laid down again. I may put her in the yard as I doubt she can make it down the coop ramp by herself. However we have snow and it's a high of 32 today (Wisconsin) and I don't want her to get cold. Her tail has been down all week. No pumping. Her feathers are a mess when she's usually so beautiful. Some feces that came out during her first internal exam was very green with a little white. I think the video would be helpful to show her single very deliberate heavy step at a time. She's very slow. Also, she's not the one making the noise... that's "Pretty Girl" in the background. Thanks for any help!!

Poor thing, she doesn't look well does she. She is a lovely girl.
My best guess would be Peritonitis - just looking at her stance and the symptoms that you describe.

Green poo can be an indication of infection or nutrition (she's not able to absorb nutrients or not eating enough because she feels so bad).
You may want to separate her from the flock, if she does have Peritonitis, some bacteria can be shed in the poo which could possibly be picked up by the rest of the flock.
Separating her also gives you an opportunity to monitor her food and water intake and evaluate whether she is declining or improving.

Poop Chart:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

Last edited:
Thank you Wyorp Rock! Ok, I'll separate her and watch her intake. Is there anything special I should be giving her? Any need to soak her, massage her, anything like that? Thanks!!!

I do have another bit of observance...another hen (brown) lower in "rank" came to my sick hen when I brought her out of the coop and in some grass. The brown one continually for at least a few minutes was trying to get under the sick one's wings and body. What is this behavior? Almost like she was trying to cuddle or find a comforting place. Thx!

You can feed her normal poultry ration if she will eat it, some scrambled or hard boiled egg, tuna, etc. Whatever she will eat that is good nutritionally for her. If you have vitamins/electrolytes for poultry you can add that to her water if you want.
As far as the other hen's behavior, I don't really know...it's interesting though, maybe just good friends? you never know about chickens.
I hope she improves for you.

Wyrop Rock, I have been unable to separate my sick hen as I have no place to put her. She seems very optimistic and does walk around a little when I take her outside. She looks alert, but just like she's not feeling well. I have seen her attempting to eat and drink. She back end is very messy and definitely green/deep green so 1) she has been consuming food and water and 2) I think you are correct in your guess as to what is wrong. What is the next step to kill the bacteria? Do I administer something just to her or put it in the flock's water supply just in case? Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom