Not sure what killed my Chicken??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by thunder123, Jul 16, 2008.

1. thunder123

thunder123 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2008
    East Feliciana (Jackson)
    Hey all I hate to post a question that has been probably posted to death. I spent two hours reading posts to see if I could get an idea what killed my chicken. I'm still not sure so I ask you for some ideas. I have had chickens for over 5 years and never had a problem. I started a new flock this spring and well I also became addicted to hatching eggs. I sold all the extra chicks and kept some nice Golden laced cochins for breeding. Well this morning I found one hen dead. The head was still on, but the feathers were stripped off the head the insides had been removed from the behind no scattered feathers. What ever did it climed over the fence. We trapped 5 Opposum last month. But have never had a racoon problem. I don't know if an opossum would remove the insides like that. I have one trap can I bait if for both an oppusum and a racoon at the same time??? I feel sure it will be back again.[​IMG]

2. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

It helps to have a location in the world. That way we can eliminate predators that don't live in the same area you live in.

3. thunder123

thunder123 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2008
    East Feliciana (Jackson)
    Oh, I'm not good at this at all. Louisiana

Thanks much I'll fix that.

4. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

5. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Sounds like a weasel. They like to bite heads and necks, and will often bite around the rear end and pull intestines out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by