Not sure what to do

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Alwayswantchics, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Alwayswantchics

Alwayswantchics Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Phelan, CA
    Okay so this is what has been going on since September 27. All my girls stopped laying. I have 9 girls of egg laying age. Three are 1n½. The rest born between March and June this year. The older three were going through a moult. So that explains why they stopped laying. But the younger. So I thought they might have mites. I checked, they did so I powdered everyone. I also sprinkled everything with DE. I bought some feather fixer to help the girls through their moult. That was about 3 weeks ago. Three days ago I got an egg. Then one the following day. Yesterday and today nothing. What can I do?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It is normal for chickens to slow down in the winter with fewer hours of daylight. Try putting a light on a timer in your coop to come on for a couple of hours before daylight to increase their lighted hours to 12, and within 2 weeks, they should be laying better. I will have my light come on at 5 AM, and then they come in at 5 PM when it is getting dusk. Also, you might check your chickens for mites or lice again because mite eggs hatch 7 days after you kill the adults. DE doesn't do that good a job, but permethrin and Sevin dust 5 % work well. You also have to clean out the coop and nests. http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  3. Alwayswantchics

Alwayswantchics Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Phelan, CA
    And I forgot to mention I have mice.

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    None of mine are laying either. I have 20 or so layers, most are older. I guess the colder winter and molting is not doing them favors either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by