Not sure what to get

Thanks all for the advice i greatly appreciate it. I like what I've read so far on the speckled Sussex, they seem like they would be a good all around bird for what we want. My questions are though, will they make a good 4-H bird for my kids? And if I decide to breed them, will it be ok to keep my Easter eggers and mutts? Also should I go with a pure bred rooster and get rid of my others?
It depends on why you are breeding them. If you just want to increase your flock size and enjoy the thrill of hatching your own little ones any of your roos are fine and mutts can come in beautiful shapes and sizes. If you want to show or perserve a breed then you should go with a pure bred and should probably buy from a reputable breeder. I think you will love the Speckled Sussex. They are beautiful, friendly and excellent layers. They are recognised by the American Poultry Association so I do not see why your kids could not show them if they like. As the above poster said, if you decide to start a breeding program just seperate the hens and roo you want to breed for about three weeks.

I would think that the 4H organization would be able to make a recommendation.
What breeds do they allow you to show?
What categories are there?
I'd find out about the shows in your area and that might help you make your choice.

If you're going to do specific breeding, having several pens to separate different hens and roosters would essential.

Good Luck, Have Fun!

Back
Top Bottom