NOT SURE WHAT WENT WRONG!! HELP call duckling died day 24! What went wrong?? *GRAPHIC PICTURES*

lilyiris

In the Brooder
May 8, 2020
My only call duckling egg died recently, I suspected it died around day 24 as I candled it at day 23 and it was moving around with good veining.
Day 24 the veining wasn’t so clear and there wasn’t anymore movement
I know call ducks are supposed to hatch at around 26 days but I left it in the incubator until day 28 just in case. I candled it today and there was still no movement or internal pipping so I carefully opened it up and sure enough the duckling was dead :((

the outer membrane was very dry but I suspect this is because it has been dead for a few days.
I tried to perform and eggtopsy but I’m just not sure what went wrong.
It looks quite goopy as you can see from the photo. Does anyone have any idea???
I’d really like to try again but I don’t want to make the same mistake again so any input would be sososo helpful! Thank you!!

Attachments

• A3AE8680-1CE6-443C-9AC7-0CB670736FF1.jpeg
    A3AE8680-1CE6-443C-9AC7-0CB670736FF1.jpeg
    363.4 KB · Views: 27
I just want to wish you luck with the next batch. So sorry you lost this one! I'm watching three broody hens supposed to hatch their eggs today or tomorrow, so I'm curious to read others' stories. I've never tried an incubator.

I hope it all turns out well for you! I've had much better experience with broodies but unfortunately I don't have any at the moment as I'm rebuilding my flock because I had to give away all my animals when I moved but I'm excited for new beginnings! Just received some more eggs so I will try again today :)

Back
Top Bottom