Not sure when HennyPenny can be put back with the other chickens

Waytoomanyroosters

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 5, 2011
Sheridan, OR
A week ago I wrote about my egg producing Henny penny being thrashed in the head, comb and wattle by the Aracauna rooster. I brought she and her hen friend to the barn and put them in a stall to separate them from the other 8 chickens until Henny is completely healed. I did however put Henny in a cage just in case her pal has a change of heart and decides to start pecking at her. Now for my concern.....I'm wondering if chickens will regenerate feathers after such damage. She has NO feathers on her head. Completely bald! She is scabbed and I have been putting antibiotic on her head, comb and wattle to keep them a little soft. Weather has been in the low 40's at night so I keep a light on for her and of course the other hen reaps the warmth as well. Does anyone know If I can "wash" Henny Penny's feathers with a damp wash cloth or ???? to remove the smell of dry stench blood from the attack? I do not know how long AI need to keep her separated from other chickens in a cage. I really want to let her out but I am afraid that they will sense the dried blood and go after her. She is the sweetest hen around. Also, in the cold weather, if she has no feathers on her head,I willbe concerned about her head freezin tis coming winter when the freezing temperatures do hit. Do chickens have the sense to get into warmth where the light is to keep warm so they don't freeze? Her head is bare now, will she know it? Gee, do I sound like a mother hen or what? Can anyone give some insight?

When I had hens in the house for one issue or another they always got a quick shower/bath. I would wash her up,and keep her inside till she dries. I sprayed blu-kote on bald spots on my hens to deter pecking.Once you sneak them back in during a night just keep an eye on her for any frostbite. I have never had issue with my hens and frostbite and they are in a non-insulated metal shed.

Don't know if the feathers will grow back.One of my hens(Pluckers) got her head plucked,lol,so we will see if HER feathers grow back. I don't have money for heating or any such things,so she better have sense to keep herself warm.Today(right now) is our first snow!

Healing for your hen!

welcome-byc.gif

You can give her a bath to remove the dried blood. In fact, I recommend it. She'll love it. Clean her up and pop her back under the heat lamp to dry and she'll look like a new bird. Depending on the amount of damage she may or may not grow feathers back. I've had birds re-grow feathers after wounds, but I have also had birds permanently bald from that point on. Depends on whether or not the follicles are damaged. She may not re-grow feathers until she molts next year, so you may looking at a bald chicken for some time. She should be OK in the cold. Birds have few feathers on their heads anyways, so she likely won't notice the lack thereof much.

You need to keep her separate as long as she has recognizable wounds. Other birds will pick on those wounds as long as they are visible and noticeable. Folks here often use Blukote to disguise small wounds, and I recommend it highly. I have put many a wounded bird back in with the flock, and had no issues because Blukote hid the fact that the birds were injured. So, once you give HennyPenny a bath, I would switch over from the antibiotic ointment to Blukote. You are probably not going to want to continue using the ointment once she goes out into the cold because it can lead to chilling.

I hope I answered all your questions. Good luck with her.

I never got back to thank you for the input/help with doctoring Henny last year. She survived and feathers grew back. She is going strong. She is now Queen Henny, the eldest of the flock and the most dominant now. She stands her ground, is the smallest hen too. That was a two time attack, still don't have a clue what happened to her eiher time. I do believe she might have lost some sight in one eye from the ordeal. She seems to catch those earthworms though! I used your advice and lots of triple antiiotic t coat her head. You could tell it really made it feel good when the skin started healing and drying. The triple antibiotic gel kept it nice and moist. Thanks again!

from Henny Penny...with Love! Going strong!
welcome-byc.gif

You can give her a bath to remove the dried blood. In fact, I recommend it. She'll love it. Clean her up and pop her back under the heat lamp to dry and she'll look like a new bird. Depending on the amount of damage she may or may not grow feathers back. I've had birds re-grow feathers after wounds, but I have also had birds permanently bald from that point on. Depends on whether or not the follicles are damaged. She may not re-grow feathers until she molts next year, so you may looking at a bald chicken for some time. She should be OK in the cold. Birds have few feathers on their heads anyways, so she likely won't notice the lack thereof much.

You need to keep her separate as long as she has recognizable wounds. Other birds will pick on those wounds as long as they are visible and noticeable. Folks here often use Blukote to disguise small wounds, and I recommend it highly. I have put many a wounded bird back in with the flock, and had no issues because Blukote hid the fact that the birds were injured. So, once you give HennyPenny a bath, I would switch over from the antibiotic ointment to Blukote. You are probably not going to want to continue using the ointment once she goes out into the cold because it can lead to chilling.

I hope I answered all your questions. Good luck with her.

Back
Top Bottom