Not sure where to post this..dead chicken

Tmul9393

In the Brooder
Jun 30, 2022
Hello all, we lost a chicken this weekend out of no where and everyone else is acting fine. We saw her when we came out to lock everyone up for the night. No sign of illness except a pale comb and dirty nostrils everything else seemed normal. My question is, we wrapped her and threw her in the freezer until we had time to cut her open and see what happened. Can we use the parts for broth and whatnot?

Hello all, we lost a chicken this weekend out of no where and everyone else is acting fine. We saw her when we came out to lock everyone up for the night. No sign of illness except a pale comb and dirty nostrils everything else seemed normal. My question is, we wrapped her and threw her in the freezer until we had time to cut her open and see what happened. Can we use the parts for broth and whatnot?
I would not use the remains for food since you don't know how long she was deceased and don't know why she died. That's just me.

That is a straight no for us. If the animal died from the unknown, it isn't safe to eat. Further more, if it was already cold and stiff, then the insides have had a chance to go putrid and that on it's own can make the meat bad for consumption, same with the bones for broth.

Nope-- not safe to eat. If there's room on your property, unwrap and bury the carcass. It'll be excellent fertilizer for nearby plants. I also am an urban chicken 'farmer', hence burying any remains and/or a carcass at least a foot deep eliminates odors or attracting unwanted vermin.

Thanks all! I was just hoping to use something out of it. We found her within an hour of dying. We gave them scratch around 7 and she was alive but not going after scratch so I put her up to roost, came back out at 8 to lock up and she was dead on the floor. Poor girl.

Thanks all! I was just hoping to use something out of it. We found her within an hour of dying. We gave them scratch around 7 and she was alive but not going after scratch so I put her up to roost, came back out at 8 to lock up and she was dead on the floor. Poor girl.

You could definitely harvest her feathers if you want.
Yep, feathers are good for crafts but that's all you can use from her.

Back
Top Bottom