Not sure where to post this question

Mommysongbird

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 17, 2011
Small Town, Virginia
Is there a forum on using recycled materials in raising chickens?

Anything like waters, feeders, coops, etc.

I am trying to recycle as much as possible since we are a 1 income homeschooling family and don't have a lot of cash to go into major projects.

Will do some googling also to see what I can find.

Thanks

Theres alot of people on here that have made coops out of wooden pallets. Looks pretty good afterwards too. If you have any 5 gal buckets laying around you could use those to make a homemade feeder/waterer.

I showed my hubby a few coops made with pallets and he complained that they are too hard to nail together. Maybe those people will see this post and let me know how they got them together.
big_smile.png

I am already thinking about the buckets for water and feed and small square buckets for nesting boxes.
wink.png

If you take the pallets apart then it is just like nailing a regular board. Some people just use the pallets as the source of materials not as prebuilt panels
big_smile.png
Also watch craigslist and the free section. You can find free materials there as well. Another option is freecycle. I happen to use them both.

Quote:
Here is a pic of our pallet coop:

52004_sunp0085.jpg

Its made from pine pallets about 1-1/2" thick boards.You have to knock the boards off with a mallet.Then use screws,not nails!The coop is 8'x8'x7' high in a run of 12'x20'x7'high.I think I have the biggest pallet coop and run on BYC.
celebrate.gif

The roof is 20 mil. used billboard vinly.The underside is a subway ad. We had a vinyl billboard going around it for winter with a spongebob ad.
lau.gif

The front and right sides are now covered up to the 4' high fence with horizontal boards.There is a door to enter the coop in the back,and one to enter the run on the right side.

Total cost = 100.00 max.

I used pallets for my coop here are some pictures of it going together I also used old shower doors for the part that keeps the coop and storage area apart. The door into the storage area is made with an old shower door and left over scraps of wood. I would make sure to spend money on good wire to protect the pen. I will get pictures of the coop finished this weekend. I did get the recycled flooring for the coop part it does not rot, no bug damage.
42605_img00149.jpg

42605_img00151.jpg

42605_img00148.jpg

Last edited:
Look up "freecycle" it is a web site that has people that recycle EVREYTHING they don't want. It is broken down into areas or towns to make it easier for everyone to get things that are close. See if there is one in your town or towns around you. I get e-mails every day from 5 different towns that are around me. You can also post what you are looking for. For ex. if you are looking for palets someone may have some that they want to get rid of but didn't think of posting it themselves.

Here is a small sample of things you'll find
WANTED: Baby gate (Wheeling & Centennial, 47303)
OFFER: Desk Wood (unassembled, damaged, missing screws) (Walnut & McGalliard 47303)
TAKEN: Purse (Kilgore & Powers 47305)

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom