Not sure where to post this. Rooster ?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by catsew, Aug 5, 2011.

1. catsew

catsew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    I wasn't sure where to post this, but I have possibly 2 roosters. There's still hope for the one since I've seen its mom and she looks just like a rooster, but with my luck they both probably are. Anyway, I have 1 more baby that is only a month old right now. I just have the feeling that is a girl. Its a different breed so it could just be that, but definitely is different than the other 2 as far as looks and the way its growing.
    Now I can't keep 2 roosters and only 1 girl if the 3rd is a girl right?
    Could I eat one of the roosters if I can't find a home for it? And how old would it have to be do something like that.

2. heksa

heksa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Indiana
    Sure you can eat it. I had mine extra roosters butchered at 4 months. There was no much to eat on them, but good enough to cook soups on.

3. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I like to keep one rooster. Keep more than one and the flock can easily become miserable. I like to butcher the extras at 5-6 months old. I've found it to be the best compromise between amount of meat and tenderness.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Cruise over the the meat bird thread, lots of info and support there if you chose to butcher.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by