1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

not sure which feed to buy?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sdshoars, Oct 2, 2008.

1. sdshoars

sdshoars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    we are going to buy another 50 lbs sack of feed this weekend, which lasts us about a month and a half, maybe a little more (only 4 girls). they are almost 20 weeks, and we only have room for one sack of feed, should i get layer, or continue with grower, and get oyster shell too, just in case they start laying before i can get a sack of layer? thanks

2. Nemo

Nemo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    N'rn Wisconsin
    Layer should be good. I think most say to start feeding layer at about 17 weeks old.

And just for a little encouragement... Our fifteen, 22-week-old, Buff Orpingtons started laying this week. We had five eggs as of last night.

3. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

I would definatly get a bag of layer since it lasts you that long. shells will also be a plus since there new hens and can use the calcium.

4. CRR chicks

CRR chicks New Egg

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia
    Definately go with layer. Maybe get a bag of crumble layer, then decide next time if you want to stick with crumbles or go with pellets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by