not sure why I am asking this again...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by v.cyr, Feb 18, 2012.

1. v.cyr

v.cyr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    I have asked this question in the past, and either was ignored, or got responses that were not really what I was looking for... figured I might try rephrasing the question and try my luck again... here goes...,

in the standards that consider them to be separate breeds, like the English standard, what are the differences between a cochin bantam and a pekin bantam?.. I understand that in the american standard there is no difference, or, I suppose more accurately, pekin is considered to be just another name for bantam cochins, but I have been wondering for a while why exactly folks in other countries consider them to be separate breeds...

2. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    Pekin bantams are true bantams, meaning they have no large fowl counter part. Cochin bantam are miniatures of standard size Cochin. Not sure that is what you are looking for.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    OK. I will bite. How is a pekin different than a bantam cochin?

4. v.cyr

v.cyr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    thats what I am wondering... I keep coming across references to them being two separate breeds in other countries, usually followed by the statement that in the US, they are just considered to be 2 names for the same breed... I just cant wrap my head around the idea that they would consider them different breeds unless there was some sort of differences upon which to base that claim...

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    From what I've read, this issue is actually unclear even amongst the breeders. There is a lot of debate about the existence of differences between the European Pekin, and the US/Canadian Cochins.

The only discrepancy between the two that I've seen written about is a 'tilt' in the carriage of the head in Pekins. Supposedly this tilt brings the head closer to the ground and puts the tail feathers at a higher angle.

I think for all intents and purposes, they can be considered the same, as I doubt a bird taken overseas would have a judge point at it and decry it as 'gasp! Cochin!'.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by