Not sure why my chick died...any help?

Cettab

Hatching
7 Years
May 25, 2012
Hey everyone! I have had my chicks for a week today! I came home with three but early this morning one pass away. I can't figure out what was wrong with her and I'm hoping you can help! Wyatt started breathing heard on Wednesday but she was still active and running around so I wasn't too worried. Last night when I got home from work I cleaned their house and everyone seemed fine. Before I went to bed I checked on the ladies.....Wyatt wasn't very active and just screamed bloody murder when I picked her up. I sat holding her for awhile and she didn't try to get away once...just laid in my hands. When I went to bed I made her a separate little bed and put her on my nightstand with a heating pad underneath to keep her warm. She squaked a few times but never moved. A little after midnight she passed. I tried looking up what could be wrong but I wasn't having much luck.

Here were her symptoms:
-She was breathing really hard and fast...her whole body moved when she took a breath. At times it almost sounded like she was wheezing.
-she stopped opening her eyes
-loud squaks like she was in pain every now and then
-she would not stand up on her own
-she didn't poop the whole time I was holding her or when she was in her separate box...about 4 hours

Does anyone know what could have been wrong! I wanna be sure it's not contagious or if there is anything I can do to prevent the other two from suffering the same fate! Thanks!

Last edited:

kidcody

Crowing
9 Years
Nov 1, 2010
Autumn Farm English Orpingtons
frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
from washington state glad you joined us!
So sorry for your loss! You will get a better response if you post in the Emergency section. Sometimes we never now why they suddenly die.

NonnasBabies

Muddy Acre Farms
10 Years
Sep 20, 2009
Pride, La.
Welcome!!
frow.gif

Sorry you lost a chick. I'm not exactly sure what to tell you. I've had this happen before even when their wasn't any sign there was something wrong!! Hope you get it figure out!

Last edited:

Top Bottom