Not the typical Bumble foot Question

augustiner05

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 28, 2010
Hello all!
August of 2011 I treated 3 of my 4 chickens for bumble foot. After weeks of salt, Tricide neo, Neosporin and bandages every day, the bumble foot cleared up. Since then I acquired 3 more adult chickens, none of which had bumble foot when I got them in October. Fast forward to today and 1 of my original 4, and 2 of my new chickens have bumble foot. I am at a total loss as to what is causing this. Their perch is smooth. I got rid of sand in the run and replaced with straw( they don’t spend much time in there anyway). My yard is half green grass, half dead grass and dirt. There are lots of small pebbles, but I can’t really de-pebble my yard. There is nothing rough or so abrasive as to open up their feet to infection.

What am I missing?
What is causing this to affect so many of my chickens?
How can I protect them from this?

WOW, thats alot of bumblefoot. I wish I had an answer to your question, but I don't :(
There HAS to be something out there in the yard thats doing this.......just curious, are the pebbles pea size smaller/bigger?

The pebbles are pea sized. I know there has to be some cause, but i just don't see it? I read this in my search for answers:

This is about Canaries taken from http://www.avianweb.com/bumblefoot.html
Excess Protein: Dean Kurdi - from www.canaryscience.com - suggests the following: Bumble foot is caused by internal bacteria as a result of extra protein stored in the bird's kidney. This problem occurred in his canaries after increasing the amount of eggs in their diet. He learned over time that the stored protein promotes the growth of bad bacteria which the body excretes through the skin. The feathers absorb most of it, except on the featherless feet, where the bacteria settle and show up as a pink color bumble, which then turns red and dark blue filled with cyst. Bumble foot shows on the bottom of the canary foot also on the top and bottom tips of the toes - above and /or under the canary nails, especially the middle toe.

http://www.chickenchatter.org/view_topic.php?id=3509&forum_id=12&page=1

I always heard bumblefoot was also caused by an infection.....STAPH....

Here's a link......read the 2nd post especially...

I have been fighting my own issues with bumblefoot, so have been reading, and reading, and reading, and trying this, and that, and this and that...good luck

THANK YOU NC29mom for this link! WONDERFUL helpful information...augustiner05, I hope you find something that works for you...:fl

I have also heard that it can be started by too high of a perch (or other place birds may jump down from) and/or hardpacked ground or concrete. Apparently the heavier breeds are more prone to get it with adverse conditions.

Back
Top Bottom