Not Trying To Start A Political Debate Or Any Of That Junk

Some people say Warren Harding was the first "black" president, based on rumors his grandmother or great-grandmother was of African descent. At that time, any drop of African heritage made you black. There is no confirmation that Harding had any African ancestors.

Quote:
Many would disagree with both of these statements... Just sayin'.

I agree with the second statement. I don't think that it would take a sharp legal mind to examine his eligibility. The guy was born in the US to an American mother. He has produced his birth certificate. For Petes sake, we need to let this go!

We generally let people self-define in this country.

For many generations the term biracial didn't exist. I think it was in just that last couple of years that you were allowed to pick more than one race on the census forms. Americans don't like maybes, they like either/ors. So you are black or white, and can't be both. Seems silly to me, but that is how it has been historically.

Now we allow more nuance. I have a friend who is an American citizen, was raised in Sweden, and has Indian parents. She considers herself a Swedish American of Indian descent. My niece might be considered a Chinese American with Scandinavian heritage. She was a born in China, adopted by Anglo Americans who are mostly of Scandinavian descent, and most of the cultural heritage is Scandinavian. Personally, I like the term American, with nothing else added on.

Last edited:
Quote:
Many would disagree with both of these statements... Just sayin'.

I agree with the second statement. I don't think that it would take a sharp legal mind to examine his eligibility. The guy was born in the US to an American mother. He has produced his birth certificate. For Petes sake, we need to let this go!

Oh for sure he is..........by two ways........I didn't vote for him......now hope he doesn't get a 2 nd term. Just shows how much people know about Presidents and what is eligibility......to be one. Really sad. So many thought you had to be born in the States......not so ,

But anyway the first black president was the very first.....John Hanson of course that was before the "United States of America"

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes he's biracial and identifies as an African american. It varies on the person what they identify as.

Quote:
Right, he assumed the presidency when Garfield was assassinated by a fanatical supporter of...Chester Arthur.

Arthur was born in the US (Vermont), but his father William was born in Ireland, came to Canada and was not naturalized as a citizen of this country until his son Chester was 14 years old. Chester Arthur was ineligible to run for the VP slot and was definitely not eligible to assume the Presidency upon Garfield's assassination.

Quote:
Right, he assumed the presidency when Garfield was assassinated by a fanatical supporter of...Chester Arthur.

Arthur was born in the US (Vermont), but his father William was born in Ireland, came to Canada and was not naturalized as a citizen of this country until his son Chester was 14 years old. Chester Arthur was ineligible to run for the VP slot and was definitely not eligible to assume the Presidency upon Garfield's assassination.

if this is the case he was eligible...........but it was said he may have been born in Canada then he wouldn't be. really in his case depend where he was born

Quote:
I agree! Please folks back to the interesting history lessons. I was enjoying those!
thumbsup.gif

mom'sfolly :

...Personally, I like the term American, with nothing else added on.

That's the way most every other country sees it! Your nationality means what country you are a citizen of, not what country your ancestors are from.​

Back
Top Bottom