Not turning eggs experiment?

well you should know what would happen..... that is why they are turned ,,,, i have no doubt that the chick will develop, but it would be stuck to the embryo, and shell,,,,,,,, it couldn't hatch and would in the end die in the egg (more than likely) and i would not think of doing this because their are very sensitive people on this forum that think it is cruel to even experiment with such things,,, so i would forget it,,,, and if you did i wouldn't post about it on this forum,,,,,,,, a developing embryo is not a soy bean plant placed in a window sill to experiment with, JUST saying, it is a living creature OKay

Exactly. By not turning the eggs, the chick will just stick to the side of the egg shell, and die eventually.

I know you were curious, and it was only a question, but alot of people may get upset by this thread
smile.png

Please, do not try the 'not turning' thing though. It'll be a disaster.

You did not upset me and I see nothing wrong with experiments esp scientific ones. This is not something I would try simply because I can guess the end result but I would never judge you for it. Lord knows I did far worse things in science class. I have no emotional attachment to a egg.

SteveH accidentally did this when his turner wasn't working. He's hatching now and some are out but deliberately not turning them would be a very bad idea.

Quote:
I've read quite a few times on here of people who forgot to turn completely and still got reasonable hatch rates. I think your experiment would be worth while if you could have a few different groups of eggs to turn and not turn at different stages of the incubation, and compare hatch rates from them. I've read that turning in the first 7 days is much more important than turning in days 7-18; it would be interesting to see if you would get results that agreed with that...

I don't think it's cruel or bad or whatnot - recently I did a long drawn out staggered hatching experiment where I didn't disinfect my bator at all for three consecutive batches of eggs. My hatch rates dropped dramatically (as expected) and I got a lot of dead-in-shell chicks towards the end of the experiment but nobody told me I was being cruel to my embryos or anything negative like that.

Back
Top Bottom