(not urgent) Frostbite in toes

Isabella6Storm4

Free Ranging
Oct 4, 2022
Ardonia
My Black Sumatra hen got frostbite in her toes up to the first joint about a week ago when it snowed a ton. She seems to be walking ok but has lost the end of one of her toes and. I only noticed one other toe that was black, shrunken and dry-looking when i tried to examine her this morning. Is there anything i should do to keep infection or something like that away? I've only dealt with Frostbite on the comb before. I can get a picture later if necessary.

My Black Sumatra hen got frostbite in her toes up to the first joint about a week ago when it snowed a ton. She seems to be walking ok but has lost the end of one of her toes and. I only noticed one other toe that was black, shrunken and dry-looking when i tried to examine her this morning. Is there anything i should do to keep infection or something like that away? I've only dealt with Frostbite on the comb before. I can get a picture later if necessary.
Just let it fall off naturally, and then clean the area and monitor it.

Pictures may be helpful. If it has fallen off already, it may have happened weeks ago. Most chickens do okay when they lose a toe tip. You can dab on some Betadine if it is above freezing.

IMG_6134.jpg
IMG_6125.jpg
IMG_6136.jpg

Back
Top Bottom