Not using nest boxes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by layinghen8, Jan 17, 2008.

1. layinghen8

layinghen8 New Egg

Jan 1, 2008
    My hens just started laying and they are not using the nest box. The lay wherever. Some times in a pile of poop and sometimes out in the middle of the yard. I collect a couple of times a day so the eggs are not sitting in anything to long , but are the eggs ok if they have been in a pile? I wash them right away but I'm concerned that they are absorbing yuck.

I was walking through the yard the other night and stepped on one.

Any suggestions on how can i get them to lay in the nest box.

2. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi! Welcome to BYC [​IMG]
    Try putting a fake egg: ie. golf ball, wooden egg, plastic easter egg, in the nesting box. When I first had my girls they didn't have any older girls to show them the ropes. A fake egg was what I used. Then showed it to them so they got the idea thats where they needed to go. They still prefer finding the nesting box with the egg in it, real or otherwise, and lay in that one the most. Silly girls [​IMG]
    Guess they figure if it's a box good enough for one of them to lay in it's good enough for them. [​IMG] Next you will have them queing up for their favorite nesting sight. They are a hoot! <>< Barb

3. layinghen8

layinghen8 New Egg

Jan 1, 2008
    Thanks for the reply...I'll try those tricks. I'm sure they will catch on sooner or later.

I was reading some of the other posts and I guess I'm not alone on this one.

I was concerned about using the eggs if they have been laying in a pile of poop for a the day before I got to them. I always think of the eggs as nice and clean sitting in the nest not on the coop floor getting trampled by dirty feet or in a muddy poop pile. [​IMG]

4. paganfish

paganfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    Hi! Welcome!

I tried golf balls (Someone left them in the workshop. Still baffles me why someone would have golf balls out here? [​IMG] ) They took to laying RIGHT away.

Good luck!

Pedro

5. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

You may have to lock them up in the run if your not already.until they get used to laying inside in boxes .....I had to do that with mine after they laid EVERYWHERE but the boxes.......now I see them run fast back to coop when its time....... for the most part anyway......... as far as dirty eggs..........they are just fine............just wipe them off. [​IMG]

6. gmc

gmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2007
    Clay City, KY
    A little chicken poo makes them farm fresh. I swear it.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by