Not using nesting boxes!

Jandsloch

Songster
Apr 3, 2019
Nw pa
BE5456BE-EF40-480A-8201-CDB004D48B01.jpeg
ADEE0C8B-E618-4215-A9F0-3953A8A12CD7.jpeg
64B97E97-DE05-478E-979E-92DE182C1AEB.jpeg
So I had 4 or 5 pullets that constantly flew the fence. I’ve tried clipping 1 wing. Still getting over 4ft fence hahaha my neighbors love and talk to them so it’s not too much of an issue. The issue is I sold 3 of the ones getting over a couple days ago. I now notice 1 last 2 mornings keep getting over I’ll scare her, put her back and instantly she’d be back over. This morning my daughter went to shoo her back in and found a nest! We have 4 nest boxes and 11 girls of laying age. Getting 5-6 eggs a day. Some of the eggs my daughter found were tiny so I assume were from the younger ones who no longer live with us. I needed to head to work so I put her in what I call chicken jail. It’s a coop with a fence and nest box.i will be throwing the found eggs out as I have no clue how long they’ve been there however I x’d them with a marker and put them in her jail nest box. How do I break her if this? Daughter told me this morning that 2 of my older ones were also flying the fence yesterday with Bee (the juvenile delinquent)by older I’m talking they’ve been laying in nest boxes for 2 months). Do I put these in chicken jail with her? I’m including pics bc it’s actually a great quiet hidden spot for them lmbo and the look on my daughters face is priceless

usually when i find a hidden nest like that I've got one preparing to go broody, I have one that has only been laying not quite a month and she's already acting like she wants to brood but she is penned up and can't get out to go hide a nest. sometimes putting a box with a face on it and hole big enough for a hen to squeeze into helps, that way if they want to brood they know it's easily defended and feel safe doing it. The other hens may be doing it in support of her to protect her. Hens that go broody don't care if they are fertilized or not is one of the problems. if you can lock them in I would do so until all eggs have been laid in the coop to retrain them, it will take several days of doing this, do not let them out until all have laid should help break them of it.

So I shoul put the other older ones in with her? I’m not even sure they are laying out there. I know for sure it’s her because....she was caught lmbo the others that always flew over have new homes. The older ones have never flown the fence until yesterday. As far as broody she is only 19 weeks old. First year for chickens and the drama is comical! I appreciate your advice and I think the coop holds 4 chickens comfortably so I will instruct my daughter any girl that has flown the fence goes in jail with Bee! Thank you for your response. Hoping this will help the situation. Otherwise as my husband says “if it continues one day Teri (neighbor) will wake up and think it’s Easter!”

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Thank you all. I will have to deal with rogue layer another day. At least we know where she is laying. I had a chicken fall I’ll this morning with coughing and labored breathing and needed to quarantine her. So she is currently being monitored in chicken jail for the time being which is actually more important than rogue layer :(

Back
Top Bottom