Not vent Gleet..what's going on?

Fossey2

Hatching
Apr 22, 2021
Hoping someone with more experience can help me.

I have 5 hens in a nice area. I keep their coop clean and dust them and the ground often with diatomaceous earth. They have a sand bath with D. earth) and I spray them and they area periodically for mites. They don't pick on each other at all and get along well.

About 3 months ago, one of my hens lost all of her feathers on her back end (all my other girls still have all their feathers and no issues). Her vent looked fine but I doubled down on dusting, spraying, soaked her in a tub a few times, gave her yogurt and probiotics daily for a week, and applied nystatin medicine to the area for about 2 weeks.

She has yet to begin to grow any feathers back and often the skin gets a little red like in the attached image. When it does this I put more nystatin ointment on her. You can see in the image she doesn't really have any discharge from her vent. Her skin is just red and irritated looking.
Oh, any purple you see is also from me applying Blue Coat about 2 months ago...
Does anyone have any idea what could be going on? She lays great eggs, happy and eats great.

Thanks for your time!

Attachments

• Chicken.jpg
    Chicken.jpg
    370.7 KB · Views: 21
Likely plucking from another hen. Usually done during roosting.

You can apply a little NuStock or Hen Healer to the skin if you wish to help sooth it when it gets irritated.
Once she goes into molt (usually in Fall) then she should grow back the feathers.

Back
Top Bottom