Not walking/moving

Do you just mix one whole crushed tablet in their food?
Let's start with what you have on hand. Do you have any of these products?:

Nutri-Drench for Poultry
Poly-Vi-Sol (human baby vitamins)
Vitamin B-Complex (tablets)
Vitamin-E (gel, paste, or liquid)
Selenium (200mcg tablets)

Tell me what you have available to you, and we'll go from there.

I had to re-read the original post to refresh what's going on. Note that I mentioned that the one that has her head tucked down could be the beginning stages of Wry Neck. I'd start with something like 2-3 drops of Poly-Vi-Sol and a 1/4 tablet of Vitamin B-Complex mixed in about 1/2 TBSP of Starter Feed with about 1/4 TBSP of Yogurt. If you have Vit-E and Selenium onhand, you can a 400IU of Vit-E (one geltab) and 1/8 (25mcg) of the Selenium tablet into this mix as well. Make enough to make about 4-6 pea-sized balls of this moist mix. You want it moist and flavorful so the chicks will eat it on their own. The yogurt, while also promoting good bacteria in their digestive tract, has a taste they seem to like (ours like "mixed berry" flavor).

Here's a good article on vitamins needed by chickens for healthy development and what can go wrong when they're deficient in them:
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/vitamins-and-minerals-important-to-poultry

Let's start with what you have on hand. Do you have any of these products?:

Nutri-Drench for Poultry
Poly-Vi-Sol (human baby vitamins)
Vitamin B-Complex (tablets)
Vitamin-E (gel, paste, or liquid)
Selenium (200mcg tablets)

Tell me what you have available to you, and we'll go from there.

I had to re-read the original post to refresh what's going on. Note that I mentioned that the one that has her head tucked down could be the beginning stages of Wry Neck. I'd start with something like 2-3 drops of Poly-Vi-Sol and a 1/4 tablet of Vitamin B-Complex mixed in about 1/2 TBSP of Starter Feed with about 1/4 TBSP of Yogurt. If you have Vit-E and Selenium onhand, you can a 400IU of Vit-E (one geltab) and 1/8 (25mcg) of the Selenium tablet into this mix as well. Make enough to make about 4-6 pea-sized balls of this moist mix. You want it moist and flavorful so the chicks will eat it on their own. The yogurt, while also promoting good bacteria in their digestive tract, has a taste they seem to like (ours like "mixed berry" flavor).

Here's a good article on vitamins needed by chickens for healthy development and what can go wrong when they're deficient in them:
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/vitamins-and-minerals-important-to-poultry
I have vitamin B complex and nutridrench at the moment. I am currently looking into getting tetracycline. My healthy chicken has now gone down hill fast. The other two are much better. But the healthy one is now just laying around, not as active or vocal, and is very wobbly. When he stands he just keeps falling on his butt and it doesn't take much for him to just fall over on his back.

Oh no!

Let's start with the Nutri-Drench. Give each chick a drop in its beak followed by a few drops of plain water.

Follow this guide for how to give chickens fluids if you're not familiar:
https://bitchinchickens.com/2020/02/06/how-to-safely-give-oral-medications/

This could be a number of things, but let's get some nutrients and water into them now.

I'm going to tag some folks that can assist better than I can since it seems this went from an inconvenience to more critical since we last heard an update...

@Wyorp Rock @azygous @aart @Eggcessive @dawg53

Thank you. He was found laying on his back today and not under the light. We're not sure how long he was like that so I'm not sure if that could play a role in this. Was going to get tetracycline but TSC only sells it for large livestock in liquid form. I am trying to upload a video but I haven't figured it out yet

I just mixed a vitamin E tablet in yogurt and each one got a drop of nutridrench and the vitamin B

This sounds like shipping stress. @Swbertrand1 has given you very good advice. Continue with that. But give the chicks sugar in their water, about a teaspoon to a cup. Sugar will elevate blood glucose and revive the chicks unless there is something else going on.

3 ayami cemani chicks that are now a little over 24 hours old.

The one sometimes flips himself over on his back but when I put its beak in the water it drinks. Same with the other one. They don't really get up and walk either. The one has his wings spread out and they just kind of scootch themselves around the pen.

The one with the bad foot doesn't extend his leg either

I have vitamin B complex and nutridrench

I am currently looking into getting tetracycline. My healthy chicken has now gone down hill fast. The other two are much better. But the healthy one is now just laying around, not as active or vocal, and is very wobbly. When he stands he just keeps falling on his butt and it doesn't take much for him to just fall over on his back.
You hatched these yourself. It may be an incubation problem. Have you incubated/hatched chicks before?

They are now around 4 days old now?

The healthy one is declining?

Please get some updated photos of them. A video of actions may be helpful as well. Upload video to Youtube and provide a link.

Can the 2 walk now or are they still "scooching" about?

The one with the straight leg - a photo of the back of the leg? It may be slipped tendon which may not be fixable.

If hobbling the other one didn't prove successful within 48 hrs, then the chances of improvement can be slim.

I would give the PND plus 1/4 tablet B-Complex to each chick once a day. PND does not have Riboflavin(B2), so the B-Complex will cover that. PND has E, B1 and Selenium, so those are covered.

Work on hydration and getting food into them.

Photos of brooder set-up would be good too.

I don't mean to sound bleak, but sometimes chicks fail to thrive and they may have genetic/developmental issues. A lot of times all you can do is try to treat and give them a boost. If there's no improvement after many days and they seem to be suffering, culling is a mercy.

Back
Top Bottom