Not willing to go into coop.

Silverpotter

In the Brooder
May 10, 2020
I live in northern Arizona where it can get down to the high single numbers. First year with chickens. They refuse to stay in the coop unless to lay eggs. They stay under the coop which is protected from wind and rain. I am worried about cold. What can I do to keep them warm without electricity? How do I get them to stay or sleep in the coop? I also am worried about keeping water from freezing. Any suggestions?

As long as you keep the coop dry and well ventilated and provide the chickens with shelter from the wind they'll keep themselves warm with their built-in down jackets.

There are a number of ways of dealing with the water problem. You could have several waterers and change them out manually several times a day, offering fresh water in one while the others thaw. You could use a heated dog dish, a special heated base made for the metal waterers, or one of the variations on a heated waterer which can be either purchased or made.

I had read that you can train your chickens to sleep in their coop by keeping them in there for a week, not letting them out at all and feeding and watering them in the coop, or returning them to it every night. When my chickens grew out of their brooder I did the first thing. I left them in the coop for a week and it killed me to do it. But it worked. They learned where their new home was and return there every night.
Besides it getting into the negatives here we have bobcats, and many other critters lower on the food chain, that would love to eat my chickens. So I had to make sure they were safe. For them and my piece of mind. But what the others say is true. They will keep themselves warm.

I had read that you can train your chickens to sleep in their coop by keeping them in there for a week, not letting them out at all and feeding and watering them in the coop, or returning them to it every night. When my chickens grew out of their brooder I did the first thing. I left them in the coop for a week and it killed me to do it. But it worked. They learned where their new home was and return there every night.

I did that too, but for 5 days. It was hard keeping them stuck in there for days and days but I do think it paid off, and they didn't seem all that put out about it.

Put them in each night just after dusk. They will be easier to catch then. Eventually they will get the hint or get sick of being picked up and go in on their own. You may need to block the under side of the coop to make things easier.
Once they are regularly going in on their own you can open it back up.

Can you add a few pics of your coop inside and out so we can advise if there is something simple causing them to be silly? please include measurements in feet by feet.

A little more info on your birds can help too.
How many birds?
Ages of birds?
How long have you had them?
Have they ever chosen to sleep in the coop?
Is the coop new to them?

Back
Top Bottom