Nothing has hatched and it is day 23!!

PaulaG

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 23, 2011
Suffolk, UK
My eggs have been under my broody hen for 23 days (give or take about 6hrs, not that im counting lol)

I have been lifting her wing to check (not sure if i should have)

Is there much chance of things happening now? I was thinking I should discard the eggs after day 25?? Is this right?

Thanks, Paula

I have one that has been under mine for 23 days and it is hatching today. I was told that they will abandon them when they know the eggs aren't good.

I am hopeful. do you think it hurt that i lifted her wing for a peek?

Not at all. I routinely candled the eggs under my broody hen which meant I was rooting under her. I'd leave them alone for now like another poster said. Good Luck and let us know what happens either way.

It is now day 24 and I am sure nothing is going to happen.
I have listened to the eggs and can hear nothing or feel any movement.

I have now ordered some new fertilized eggs from a reputable seller and I am planning to replace the old eggs for the new ones as soon as i recieve them. I am not sure if this is fair to my hen but she is sitting so tightly that i figured it was worth a go. At the end of the day she will get off and leave them if she no longer wants to sit!!

Its a shame that my first attempt has failed but im not a quitter so i will try again!!

Thanks all of you for your help and advice, im sure i will need it again some time lol
thumbsup.gif

I know the golden rule is NOT to help, but do you want to try opening one of them ? This is assuming you have seen them
develop properly earlier in candling.

OR give them few more days. There are reports of eggs hatching as late as 27th or even 30th day.

Last edited:
I did not candle them at all and they were about 10 days old when i bought them from a garden shop. to be honest i don't think they are gonna hatch. i was gonna open one just out of curiosity?

Thanks

I did not candle them at all and they were about 10 days old when i bought them from a garden shop. to be honest i don't think they are gonna hatch. i was gonna open one just out of curiosity?
Thanks

Did the garden shop say they were fertilized eggs? I think 10 day old eggs might be a bit to old to try to hatch them. I've read on BYC that 7 days was the cutoff point for trying to hatch. You could open an egg to see if anything was growing. Put the egg in a zip lock bag and crack it open. That way if its gone bad or its to hard to look at you can quickly throw it away. Let us know!

Back
Top Bottom