NOTHING ON DAY 21

KEarthman

Songster
Oct 27, 2020
We have 10 BCM eggs that have been on a dry incubation for 18 days. This is end if Day 21 and there has been no peeps, pips, or movement. The humidity was increased properly for lockdown, etc. We have had 3 very successful hatches with the dry hatch method in this incubator prior to this. The only thing we did differently this time is lower the temp to 99 degrees F. Is it possible this destroyed the hatch? We know several people who have been hatching this way with a lot of success. These eggs are very dark and too hard to see into. Any input would be appreciated. We have another batch of BCM and CL set to hatch in 8 days with this method. Those CL eggs could be candled tomorrow.

The slightly lower temp could have caused a slightly delayed hatch. Our incubator suffered temp creep from its calibration and we were actually incubating at 100.5* F. We started having chicks hatch on day 19.

Eggs really aren't that sensitive to that slight of change but what were your readings thus far and are you certain your sensor is right?
Did you skip the first day in counting the days.
We warmed up the incubator for a few hours to test everything. Then reset the timer to 21 days and the temp to 99 degrees F instead of 99.5 when we put the eggs in. It says 99 degrees and 65% humidity for a dry hatch.

We warmed up the incubator for a few hours to test everything. Then reset the timer to 21 days and the temp to 99 degrees F instead of 99.5 when we put the eggs in. It says 99 degrees and 65% humidity for a dry hatch.
Is your incubator forced or still air? What model? 65% is too high for a dry hatch or a normal hatch, that is usually the humidity most folks lock down with.
Most people do between 40%-45% to 55% humidity for the incubation and boost to 65%-70% for hatch. Here's some reading to help you next hatch.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/incubation-humidity.73386/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...hatching-chicken-eggs-aka-hatching-101.64195/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...h-eggs-using-the-dry-incubation-method.47694/

We have 10 BCM eggs that have been on a dry incubation for 18 days.
Different people have different ideas of what the dry incubation method is. Could you please either link to what you are doing or describe in detail what you actually did. The details matter. This is mostly from curiosity. If you have used this method successfully three times before it should work again if you do the same thing.

This is end if Day 21 and there has been no peeps, pips, or movement. The humidity was increased properly for lockdown, etc. We have had 3 very successful hatches with the dry hatch method in this incubator prior to this. The only thing we did differently this time is lower the temp to 99 degrees F.
What did you lower it from? What temperature was very successful in the past? Not all chicken eggs hatch at 21 days. Different things can affect when eggs actually hatch, average incubating temperature is an important one. If the average incubating temperature is high, they can hatch a day or two early. If it is low they can be late.

Is it possible this destroyed the hatch?
I don't know how accurate that 99 degrees is or what you lowered it from. Not all thermometers are accurate, I don't trust any of them if I haven't calibrated them. If this is a small drop in average incubating temperature then and it is the only change in your method all you've probably done is delay hatch a bit. If it is a dramatic drop in temperature then you may have caused problems.

We have another batch of BCM and CL set to hatch in 8 days with this method. Those CL eggs could be candled tomorrow.
It sounds like you are using different incubators, not sure how consistent one is to another. But for the rest of the incubation and during lockdown I'd go back to the method that worked very successfully in the past.

We have 10 BCM eggs that have been on a dry incubation for 18 days. This is end if Day 21 and there has been no peeps, pips, or movement. The humidity was increased properly for lockdown, etc. We have had 3 very successful hatches with the dry hatch method in this incubator prior to this. The only thing we did differently this time is lower the temp to 99 degrees F. Is it possible this destroyed the hatch? We know several people who have been hatching this way with a lot of success. These eggs are very dark and too hard to see into. Any input would be appreciated. We have another batch of BCM and CL set to hatch in 8 days with this method. Those CL eggs could be candled tomorrow.
My Maran eggs are always a little slower, there is still hope!

Last edited:
My understanding of dry hatching is adding little to no water depending on the environmental, or indoor humidity of your house, like keeping a steady 25% - 35% humidity throughout, before boosting the humidity slightly for the hatching period.

I use the Wet Bulb/Wet hatching method. I keep my humidity between 35% - 45% for the first 17 day incubation period, & boost to 55%, to 65% humidity for lockdown.

Temperature I keep between 99.5°F for regular chicken eggs, & Silkies I incubate at 98.5°F since they do better in a cooler temperature for some reason.

During lockdown I'll also decrease the temperature between 98.5°F, & 97.5°F since the chicks are now able to produce some of their own body heat.

My Maran eggs are always a little slower, there is still hope!
Last night a friend with a lot of experience said to give them to tonight to pip. If they haven't, then something is wrong with them and they should be tossed. This morning I float tested a few per him and they moved and one started chirping. But nothing else has happened.

Sometimes chicks don't hatch until days 24, or 25. I've had a few hatches like this. Don't want to toss the eggs out too soon, otherwise you may end up killing unhatched chicks if they're still alive.

We don't recommend float testing, there's a chance at drowning the chicks if there happens to be a crack in the shell.

Back
Top Bottom