NOVEMBER CHICKEN CHALLENGE

Goose_the_cat

❤️Cats❤️Rats❤️
Aug 16, 2022
Georgia
My Coop
My Coop
Come join us in this fun journey as we begin posting Chicken Challenges every month, and not all of the have to be chickens any type of poultry or fowl are accepted!

In this months Chicken Challenge we want to see what you do to keep your chickens warm in the winter, wether that be heating mats, heated roosting bars, warm oatmeal (or any warmed food in general), bringing them inside, heating the coop, or if you don’t do anything because you have cold tolerant birds and you live in the south!

Just show us pics, tell us what you do, or give us a 5 paragraph essay explaining everything thing you do everyday from the beginning of winter to the end.

Alright now have fun, be silly, tag your friends, and keep loving animals! ❤️🐓🦃🦢
If you would like; share this with any fellow chickens keepers!

Come join us in this fun journey as we begin posting Chicken Challenges every month, and not all of the have to be chickens any type of poultry or fowl are accepted!

In this months Chicken Challenge we want to see what you do to keep your chickens warm in the winter, wether that be heating mats, heated roosting bars, warm oatmeal (or any warmed food in general), bringing them inside, heating the coop, or if you don’t do anything because you have cold tolerant birds and you live in the south!

Just show us pics, tell us what you do, or give us a 5 paragraph essay explaining everything thing you do everyday from the beginning of winter to the end.

Alright now have fun, be silly, tag your friends, and keep loving animals! ❤️🐓🦃🦢
If you would like; share this with any fellow chickens keepers!

We are in Wisconsin where we'll have weeks of sub-zero weather in the winter. When we started with chickens 7 years ago, we knew we'd be heating before we even had the coop finished. We've been heating it to about 40-45F all winter long. Our chickens (Silkies) lay all winter long too, but about half as much.

Why heat? Well, I don't want the chickens using all their energy keeping themselves warm. They need their energy to stay healthy and perhaps lay some eggs. Also, the 5-gallon nipple bucket of water never freezes, nor do the eggs, nor do the chickens. So, I don't have to haul water. If I had to haul water, I'd quit.

Here's a link and a picture of the heater we've used the entire time. They are sold at least at Amazon and Home Depot. We keep it on a shelf up out of reach of the chickens as it gets twice as hot as those Cozy Coops do. This is a thin, oil-filled heater that on its lowest setting keeps the coop above freezing most of the winter. We crank it up when we get blizzards.

I ferment grain for them every 3 days in the summer, but every day in the winter. It gives them a variety to their daily layer crumbles, plus is high in probiotics and prebiotics and better nutrients. I use equal parts of Kalmbach's Henhouse Reserve (they get regular layer crumbles for feed), and 6-grain scratch in a ice cream pail.. Then I take two cups of that, add a tablespoon of Chia seeds, and put it in a quart jar, fill it with non-chlorinated water, stir, and cover lightly. Stir it once or twice a day, always making sure there's a layer of water on top of it so mold can't start.

https://www.amazon.com/NewAir-Portable-Heater-Electric-AH-400/dp/B009L40S0S/ref=

1700098765579.png

Last edited:
We are in Wisconsin where we'll have weeks of sub-zero weather in the winter. When we started with chickens 7 years ago, we knew we'd be heating before we even had the coop finished. We've been heating it to about 40-45F all winter long. Our chickens (Silkies) lay all winter long too, but about half as much.

Why heat? Well, I don't want the chickens using all their energy keeping themselves warm. They need their energy to stay healthy and perhaps lay some eggs. Also, the 5-gallon nipple bucket of water never freezes, nor do the eggs, nor do the chickens. So, I don't have to haul water. If I had to haul water, I'd quit.

Here's a link and a picture of the heater we've used the entire time. They are sold at least at Amazon and Home Depot. We keep it on a shelf up out of reach of the chickens as it gets twice as hot as those Cozy Coops do. This is a thin, oil-filled heater that on its lowest setting keeps the coop above freezing most of the winter. We crank it up when we get blizzards.

I ferment grain for them every 3 days in the summer, but every day in the winter. It gives them a variety to their daily layer crumbles, plus is high in probiotics and prebiotics and better nutrients. I use equal parts of Kalmbach's Henhouse Reserve (they get regular layer crumbles for feed), and 6-grain scratch in a ice cream pail.. Then I take two cups of that, add a tablespoon of Chia seeds, and put it in a quart jar, fill it with non-chlorinated water, stir, and cover lightly. Stir it once or twice a day, always making sure there's a layer of water on top of it so mold can't start.

https://www.amazon.com/NewAir-Portable-Heater-Electric-AH-400/dp/B009L40S0S/ref=

View attachment 3684718
That’s so cool! I’m glad you found a way to keep your chickens warm especially when it gets really cold 🥶 your chickens are probably very thankful for the extra warmth so they don’t have to spend their time and energy of staying warm and instead focus on their regular activities such as egg laying ☺️🥰

Back
Top Bottom