1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

novice question but how to tell double yokes?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mom2Cool, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Mom2Cool

Mom2Cool Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I am curious to know how everyone knows that a double yokes is a double joke without cracking open the egg? I love the education people get here on BYC.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Candle the egg with a bright light source and you'll be able to see two yolks!

3. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    plus the double yoke eggs are usually much bigger than other eggs

Steve in NC

4. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Double yolks are generally much larger or very elongated in shape.

5. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    I think candling is the only sure way to tell if you have a double. I've had some huge eggs that turned out to be just a single yoLK. [​IMG]

6. Mom2Cool

Mom2Cool Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    thanks so much. I don't mind saying a few days ago my Black Austrolorp laid an egg that was so large it looks like a duck egg.... I'd heard the term "double yoke" even at times when watching "Little House on the Prairie" & I thought perhaps this is one of them? My eggs here are all light brown though & I'm not sure if I'd be able to actually see a yoke. And now if it's been in the fridge for a couple days I could still candle it to see a yoke right? hmmm I guess this question should really have been asked under laying eggs huh?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by