Novice urban backyard chicken farmer for 3 years looking to connect and learn more

Li Da

In the Brooder
Nov 23, 2020
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I inherited several backyard chickens 3 years ago when I bought a house in Houston.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

(3) What breeds do you have?

No idea but I’d like to know!! I’ll post a pic

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

They are very friendly! One especially always walks up to me when I’m outside or in the garage house. Also, even just two chickens produce enough eggs for my wife and I, so it saves money and time - healthier than store bought too!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

BCycle, podcasts, jogging, astronomy, sailing, hiking, economics, iPhone photography, growing money trees, urban history, trying to learn Mandarin, traveling (pre-pandemic...), all things E/SE Asia, exotic foods, and a lot more things.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Chinese wife who grew up in a family that would regularly buy live chickens at a local market and then kill and eat them at home. So far, she has spared the lives of our backyard chickens, although two disappeared in 3 years, so who knows... haha. Also, a beautiful long hair cat named April, who we found as a kitten while walking home from Ben & Jerry’s. April and the wife are truly best friends, but April is typically quite mean and nasty toward me, maybe bordering on evil.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I’ve been thinking of adding a couple new chickens since I have a large backyard and coop, but I have no idea where to start in terms of breeds, etc

Attachments

• 55E7BC2E-A7EA-4B1B-A683-FB65B8C055BE.jpeg
    55E7BC2E-A7EA-4B1B-A683-FB65B8C055BE.jpeg
    710.3 KB · Views: 11
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I inherited several backyard chickens 3 years ago when I bought a house in Houston.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

(3) What breeds do you have?

No idea but I’d like to know!! I’ll post a pic

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

They are very friendly! One especially always walks up to me when I’m outside or in the garage house. Also, even just two chickens produce enough eggs for my wife and I, so it saves money and time - healthier than store bought too!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

BCycle, podcasts, jogging, astronomy, sailing, hiking, economics, iPhone photography, growing money trees, urban history, trying to learn Mandarin, traveling (pre-pandemic...), all things E/SE Asia, exotic foods, and a lot more things.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Chinese wife who grew up in a family that would regularly buy live chickens at a local market and then kill and eat them at home. So far, she has spared the lives of our backyard chickens, although two disappeared in 3 years, so who knows... haha. Also, a beautiful long hair cat named April, who we found as a kitten while walking home from Ben & Jerry’s. April and the wife are truly best friends, but April is typically quite mean and nasty toward me, maybe bordering on evil.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I’ve been thinking of adding a couple new chickens since I have a large backyard and coop, but I have no idea where to start in terms of breeds, etc

Attachments

• 20201109_231642.jpg
    20201109_231642.jpg
    555.6 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom