Now I know I have rat!

brennant

Songster
10 Years
Aug 17, 2009
Tacoma WA
Found this bugger in my bird feeder yesterday.

DSC_0102.jpg

Did I run to get a shovel or some implement to bash the snot out of it? No, I grabbed my camera!
lol.png

It did try and jump from the feeder to the deck, missed and made quite a sickening smack onto the pavement below (deck up a bit from the ground) but I didn't find it anywhere.

Now for some traps I guess. Sheesh. Sad thing is they are "kinda" cute.

Quote:
lol.png

Sad part is I am going to have to kill it. I really dislike doing that, as I am a live and let live kinda guy.
hmm.png
But I know that thing will get into the coop when I am done building it...

I have seen some rats running around, too. If you put ground dried hot peppers in the feed and take it in a night, you will have less rats. I started doing this with my chicken's feed a week ago and have gone from seeing a few rats a day to none at all. Don't worry birds aren't effected by capscaicin like mammals. In fact, it is good for their digestive track and is suppose to prevent worms. Also, I put down pieces of shade cloth underneath the feeders to collect all the spilt feed. That way there is nothing left at night for rodents to feed on.

If you have compost or feed, put it in large sealed containers. If there is wood piles or other places they hide, get rid of it. Starving them out and removing their homes is the only way to get rid of them. I am still trying to get my neighbor to remove an old woodpile next to our fence that I know if harboring rats and mice.

I know they do look cute, if can overlook the fact they eat all the feed and spread disease. There was a pack rat in my old shoe outside. It looked like a large tan mouse with a long nose and big eyes. I showed my cat were it was to no avail. Then I shook it out of the shoe. He chased it, but it still got away. Two more times that day he went after it and it got away. Now, he has given up.
I still love my cat though he is a terrible hunter. I think I am on my own when it comes to erraticating the rodent population.

DB

That is one HEALTHY looking rat.

My son had two when growing up and you know who ended up taking care of them and I must say they are rather friendly, clean, affectionate little critters. Much more so than hamsters or gerbils.

Too bad he can't go live elsewhere. I agree taking away all preditor's food sources and that includes wild bird seed.

Good luck - thanks for sharing the great pic.

I have rats too they nest in my next door naibours house :s, i set 3 humane traps, cant use bait or poison as ducks, chickens and dogs roam loose in garden, then when they in the humane trap i shoot em, i can only do it with rats though as they are easier to shot, i try and hit a mouse and either clip it, and have to hear it screm to high heaven or mis it lol
sad.png
( its because they are smaller and sometimes bloody fast too)

If you have a soft heart for the rodent, then try to trap them. You can look on the outdoor forum in your area and there might be someone interested in getting them. If you can't take it anymore, get a 22 pistol.

Back
Top Bottom