Now I've gone over the deep end! What am I doing?

Quote:
Yes we are down by Austin. From my sister's place in the cities it is 1 hour and 15 min drive. I may have to do that as I chickened out
smile.png
On butchering myself.

I suppose if I get way out of hand I can ask my wife to park her volvo outside & build a roost in the garage.

Somehow though I think it would be me thats parked outside & the roost wrapped around my head.

I still plan to free range - I guess its just the tax you have to pay to live in paradise (have you ever heard someone say that about Illinois???).

Most of the time they are OK as the majority of preds come out at night.

I just happen to have an enterprising coyote who comes around every so often in the daylight.

The good news about that though - In IL. I can shoot them 365 days a year during daylight hours.

The bad news is I'm usually at work this time of year before & after daylight.

In any case - my incubator will hold 96 eggs - look out coop here we come!!!!

Quote:
I forgot to comment on this.

I have lived & learned over the past 3 years & we have gradually upgraded the property for the birds. We now have a very solid coop with an automatic door so I can't forget any longer (lost a bunch of birds to that mistake).

I have a very strong run - but prefer to free range - right now they are locked up tight because that darn coyote is still around.

I also have a second area - its really my garden - but works very well for a second run. I also have a small brooder coop in there that I have used to seperate birds with injuries etc. So I can keep the wellies seperate to ensure they breed true if I need to.

I dont have a third - so maybe the marans will have to wait! I sure did get excited though - they were close, adult & not nearly as expensive as 8 or 10 eggs are going for now on eBay.

It just wasn't meant to be.

yeah...can't help you there....I went from 0 - 40 fowl in one season...now the second seasons approaching,so I've ordered turkeys
wink.png
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom