now noticing teeny, tiny bugs on the crooked beek EE

shend

Chirping
12 Years
Sep 16, 2010
west michigan
My EE with the crooked beak that I posted a bit ago now has teeny, tiny bugs on her (feel like they're on me now!!) They are like the size of a grain of sand but moving around. I brought her in the house this morning to try and entice her with some warm oatmeal and I saw them on the outer feathers-lots of them!

From what I've read I don't think they're mites or lice but, gosh I don't know.

I have since taken her back out-don't need an infestation inside!!

Any ideas what these are?

they are either mites or lice. dust your birds with sevin dust, make sure to do where they sleep etc, too. any area the chickens go. then repeat the whole process of dusting the birds and coop after 3 weeks

MItes make creepy crawly feelings on your arms! They are looking for the chicken! LOL Dust with seven and the coop and bedding areas and do again in 10 days.
sharon

Ugh, I'm itchy just thinking about it. Sounds like you have mites. It's amazing that something so tiny can be so itchy. Don't mess around with them--they can do major damage to your chickens in a short amount of time if you let them get away from you. They're little blood suckers and can cause anemia pretty quickly. The Sevin works wonders on both birds and coop. Clear out all of your bedding and get Sevin into every nook and cranny. If you're using straw for bedding, change to pine shavings. I had an overnight infestation of mites last winter that killed one of my hens. I didn't realize the straw was like a little breeding ground for the mites--they live inside the hollow tubes of the straw and come out in full force at night. You should do fine if you use the Sevin and keep an eye out for them.

Use Adams flea and tick spray (blue bottle). It is safe and works great. Spray under the wings, legs and feet, lift tail feathers cover vent with thumb and spray. Cover roosts with light spray along with nest boxes and floor. Trust me i will never use seven dust again. Also after 5 days (after the Adams treatment) take mineral oil and spray the roosts and any other surface they walk or stand on including the coop floor. This will help prevent mites and lice by covering them with a film and suffocating them and it leaves no residues to harm the chickens. That is what you need to prevent. Remember seven is a pesticide and remains behind for a long time. Also DE is very good when dusted in the nesting boxes and coop floor plus you can dust the birds with it. DE puts tiny scratches on the exoskeleton which causes the parasites to bleed/ooze to death. It also helps to dehydrate other buds as well. I have used all the above methods for years and love the results...................................Good luck

Back
Top Bottom