Now that we have her... Breed ID help?

Quote:
Agreed. I work for a vet and have seen hundreds of dogs at various stages after a spay and they do not get bloated like that. It looks like a wormy puppy belly to me. I've seen hundreds of those too, a round or two of an appropriate wormer solves that problem. Be sure to take a few fecal samples in to your vet, preferably one to two weeks apart. Intestinal parasites will shed eggs intermittently, so if the first fecal is negative it doesn't necessarily mean she doesn't have worms, it could mean they just weren't shedding eggs when that fecal sample was deposited.

As to breed, I hate guessing on pups that young. It's so hard to tell, and most of them are just starting to look like maybe something other than generic puppies. I don't like guessing until they are at leas 6 months, sometimes closer to a year. But looking at that last picture, I see maybe dachshund. If she's 8lbs at 12 weeks old, she's going to be small when grown...probably about 15-20lbs. If she's closer to 8 weeks, then maybe closer to 20-30lbs. Beagle and dachshund would be reasonable guesses for a mix of that size.

Thanks for the concern, I too have worked at a vet and have seen many a bloated worm pups, and have even seen people not worm their dogs for "cost" reasons, used to make me so angry. She has tested NEG for all parasites but I have had her wormed twice, the photo was the day of surg and her second worming(Strongid) so it's possible it could have been both or simply I just don't know why she looked so bloated. She has since returned to normal and is doing wonderful
smile.png
I'm not very impressed w/ the surgery, Ginger appears to be developing an umbilical hernia where the inscion is... I take her to the vet in two days so we will find out then.

Photo from today
22622_img_5575_640x498.jpg

Last edited:
She reminds me a bit of my old Katie-dog who passed a few years ago at the age of 19. Katie was a labXpitt mix. Knew both of her parents (at least my mom did as I was 3 or so at the time) mom was a little yellow lab and dad was a big ol pitt bull.....Katie weighed about 35 lbs.....best dog I ever had, I swear she knew english and was super smart...

37655_katie.jpg

Quote:
Beautiful girl
smile.png
We are thinking along the lines of labxpit also, she is so smart and easily trained. We do think she has also some boonie dog(a breed on island, meaning a little og everything lol) in there too.

Back
Top Bottom