Now the worry sets in..

llombardo

Crowing
Mar 11, 2018
Illinois
I was informed today I'm bring relocated for work. I will be allowed a longer lunch without pay to come home mud day to check in the animals and let my dogs out.

My concern is it will be dark when I leave in am and dark when I get home. I'm getting some kind of led flood light to put in the run. Should I get a smaller one for in the coop?

I'm not fond of this change because I worry about predators--even with an electric fence.

Should I put the light on in the morning before I leave? Or should I turn it on at lunch for the evening?

Water--where does everyone keep the heated watereers? Outside? In the coop? I worry they will knock it down in the coop and cause them to get wet.

Any thoughts appreciated. This whe move is happening in less then a week.

Awe man. I agree with the auto door for the chickens, but I don't know that it would work for the ducks.
I leave my heated waterer outside of the coop. Last year it was under the prefab run. This year it might be out in the open unless I build something to keep it out of the elements.
I don't turn the light on for my poultry, so can't offer any advice there.

Last edited:
Auto door is not an option at this time. Down the road I was thinking, but my younger ones still do not go into the coop at night on their own. One time last week they all went in. So shutting them out is not an option right now.

I do have a camera system but it's not hooked up to online. I could put it up and watch daily. I also have a trail camera somewhere.

The ducks would stay out all night in the dark.

I was thinking of taking my lunch 1-2 and then leaving the back doi ripen for the dogs to come and go, but my hear bill would go through the roof.

I have a dog door sitting in the box for 4 years now--no one will install it because of possible wiring in the wall. Then I find someone and no one wants a job that small. That would be perfect because it attaches to a dog run and it's directly across from the pen. I think the dog could still scare creatures away.

I was going to suggest an automatic door too. Perhaps you can put a light on a timer in the coop to encourage the younger ones to go in on their own. I've got an automatic door and my ducks don't go in. My younger ones used to go in but now they have learned from the older ones and they all stay out. I don't normally get home before dark, especially in winter, so I just heard them in when I get home.

I keep my heated water in the coop. My coop is actually a sectioned off area in the barn and I have no run.

Back
Top Bottom