Now THIS is Weird! Egg with No Shell, No Membrane Found

Thanks, Deb. I hope that was the last weird egg I see and it's smooth sailing from here on out. It was just the oddest thing I'd ever seen. I had one of those rubber eggs you mentioned just one time about a year ago. Just a glitch, I suppose. The very first egg from my original flock was quite soft in spots because we hadn't started any calcium yet when she laid at 19 weeks old, but we just haven't had any egg problems. They all do truly have what they need so I'll just expect to see a perfect egg from Miss Velvet next time.
fl.gif

*****I just came in from checking on them and I found another egg under the roost, complete with membrane, the membrane broken since it dropped from a couple of feet, but still a large egg. I bet anything that these two abnormal pullet eggs were backing up the works inside Miss Velvet.

Last edited:
Sounds like she is on her way to recovery! Whew! I sure hope so. My white leghorn(sp) cross is haveing issues right now with laying. She is just over a yr old, and lays "soft top" eggs. She has oyster shell...and crushed egg shells....and good layer feed...and she free ranges...not sure what her issues are. Been going on just about a month now. Poor gal.

Just goes to show that no matter how perfect your management of them and/or their environment, there are things that just happen beyond our control. We have no way to really know what genetics are in place most of the time, and if they freerange, it can be something they eat on their path, whatever. I hope now that these two weird eggs are out, Velvet is on her way to normalcy. Makes me wonder how she was feeling, although she seemed perfectly fine and perky to me.

I have decided not to try to figure them out. LOL Just when I think I have it down to a science....they change thier patterns on me. Like "HA HA! We will show you!"
th.gif
I just love them...feed them, and thank the girls every morning for the eggs.

Odd you have just posted about this, as I found one like that this morning. A first for me too and they have been laying since March.

All the hens seem fine and have plenty of oyster shell and layer pellet. I am just going to believe it is the really hot weather that we have had for the past few days or mother nature made a mistake.

Is it possible she, or maybe one of the other chickens, ate the membrane? Mine try to eat all sorts of nasty things no matter how well they are fed or how much room they have. They only refuse to eat things that taste bitter to them--for example, there area few poisonous weeds in the yard that they took one bite of, then spat out and ignored. But other stuff like feathers, eggs, paper bags, small pieces of wood, any insect, chipmunk poop...They give it a try before deciding it doesn't agree with them.

I did think of that, but the egg wasn't broken. I'd think if they had eaten the membrane, they would have messed up the egg a bit. It was just like someone cracked it open on the ground to make a sunnyside-up breakfast, LOL, but hey, anything's possible!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom