NPIP and AI testing in Georgia ; 2018?

mominoz

Crowing
14 Years
Feb 17, 2009
North Georgia
I am thinking of getting NPIP and AI to show out of state. Has anyone recently done it and what do they do and how long is it good for? I read the website; but am confused from things I have read and what they said when I called a year or so ago. Is it good for 6 months, a year? Do they do ALL your birds! (think 100 or so) or just 30? If I just do 30, should they be the show birds/ If I get a certificate do the birds tested and banded have to be the show birds ?(like I might not bring the one I thought I was going to bring and one has the band and one not or I had to take it off). Yes I had birds banded in the state shows, and I had to remove them later as they cut into the birds leg that was still growning or got caught under the toe... I don't sell that many or breed that many, just keeping some rare breeds and show in Ga. so not sure it is worth it and I hate Gov. snoopers anyway...

As @Wyorp Rock noted, every state is different. It is a national program but administered by each state with their own rules. Not all states require AI testing and the last time I checked, GA didn't. However some shows might require AI clean certification. In MO, every bird on the property over the age of 4 months must be tested for P/T. That could be 5 birds or 5,000.
In some states, they only test a percentage of the flock or a minimum number.
You won't have a choice which birds are tested. The entire flock is deemed clean or none are.
Some states have a fee associated and some are free.
In some states one can become certified to do testing and test their own flock.
They don't band the birds. You get immediate approval and an NPIP# and all birds on the property are certified to be free of P/T. After the tester returns to the office they send you an approval form in the mail. I imagine your birds were banded because they aren't NPIP and the band allowed them to be shown.
I understand that it is confusing but that's probably because They try to make the program 'one size fits all'. It applies to backyard flocks, primary breeder stock, multiplier breeder stock and commercial production stock.
Testing is done annually. Whatever month your flock is tested, they will be tested the same month every year as long as you stay in the program.
I think it is worthwhile. It is a good feeling to be legal.

Last edited:
I was looking for someone in Ga. who recently had it done. I am not "illegal"..I only raise Waterfowl which Pullorom (sp) test can be false positive in waterfowl...it is a test for CHICKEN HOUSES to protect them from economic loss. I have even had testers at shows refuse to do my big geese...It is a bureaucratic wide-shot. There are those who would wipe out hobby breeders, who are trying to protect the gene pool. I have met a few who won't do it because they fear local "hysteria" wiping out a rare breed. A while ago something like that happened in the Carolina's with a hobby breeder you can find the thread here on BYC. They found flu or pullorum somewhere nearby and were going to wipe out his man's birds because he was nearby. He had geese, peacocks, and many rare birds in nice environment . He had to get the local news involved to save his birds.THEY WEREN'T EVEN GOING TO TEST HIS BIRDS TO SEE IF THEY HAD ANYTHING , before they were just going to kill everything and give him 5$ a bird.... He got them to agreed to test and quarantine for a month or so and retest...don't think the "local enforcer" will see reason or give exceptions... I would like to go to a few more shows, just to display the breeds, but it is increasingly difficult and there are so many hoops to jump through that lack common sense...

It is pretty much in every state. Each show will notify you of the rules of their show. Ohio and Kentucky around me are similar and require different rules but NPIP is required for all out of state birds everywhere and they will let you know what and who will be tested. If unsure just call the directors in charge of the particular show and they can help you. They really are trying to protect everyone showing from particularly diseases that can harm your beautiful birds. They want it to be fun but not catastrophic to participating birds. Try not to see this as a hassle cuz if you were there and someone brought a bird with a communicable disease, you would not want it around your birds either. It is good common sense. Many shows in my area require a vet check 30 days prior and a listed aviary vet to show. They just want reassurances that you are not providing a place where contagion and harm to others can happen. Most regulation was born from necessity of the situations they found themselves in.

So here is a question for those who have shown or judged a competition. Is it too early to show at 20 weeks of age? Many shows here take birds of all ages but do they realistically have a chance of winning in earlier development because they may not have all the right key adults features very pronounced and I maybe would not know this as a judge would. Is it better to wait till older or ok to show at this age?

I have had P testing every year when I show in state at the show.I was thinking of going to nearby states; but with added AI testing and then some want testing within 21 days of a show, or a vet certificate of health...So it would be paying for testing ,some kind of vet farm call every show likely.... entry fees, travels cost ..State rules are all different... very discouraging....And as others have said. Getting NPIPed and Ai tested just means they were clear that day...they could contact later before the next testing.... so it is a occasional checkup... (and again as others have said ;Waterfowl and Pullourm testing is non applicable...they should drop it for waterfowl in shows...they are either carriers or don't get it...) So I am trying to decide If "playing the game is worth it"...and testing is not free in Ga. Unlike some other states we have to pay for all of it...(and ok, I am not real motivated by competitions; I just like the birds and enjoy preserving them.....I just wanted to see what others said about their testing in Georgia experience...and I did call the State last year, and got some girl who couldn't explain or understand what I was asking... She was stuck in the big poultry house experience or with individually cooped birds... not understand 'night yards' or 'pastured birds'...and couldn't seem to answer 'how many birds are tested?'...

I am thinking of getting NPIP and AI to show out of state. Has anyone recently done it and what do they do and how long is it good for? I read the website; but am confused from things I have read and what they said when I called a year or so ago. Is it good for 6 months, a year? Do they do ALL your birds! (think 100 or so) or just 30? If I just do 30, should they be the show birds/ If I get a certificate do the birds tested and banded have to be the show birds ?(like I might not bring the one I thought I was going to bring and one has the band and one not or I had to take it off). Yes I had birds banded in the state shows, and I had to remove them later as they cut into the birds leg that was still growning or got caught under the toe... I don't sell that many or breed that many, just keeping some rare breeds and show in Ga. so not sure it is worth it and I hate Gov. snoopers anyway...
I've been showing for years in several states (GA, TN, AL, FL, NC, SC, KY) and live in GA. I've never had to have all my birds tested. Although I currently don't have any waterfowl now, I showed call ducks a few years ago. My tester said the ducks didn't need to be tested. I had the NPIP certificate from the chickens being tested which I brought to the show. The testers at the shows in NC and AL did throat swabs on them before I cooped in and they were good to go. As far as the vet certificates, you won't have to have that done as long as you're current on pullorum and ai. Pullorum testing is good for 12 months and ai has to be done every 6 months. That being said, if you're planning on going to Florida, check with their Ag Department as they require more paperwork than other states near GA and you have to stop at an agricultural inspection station within the state and show them your paperwork. Which shows were you thinking of going to?

So here is a question for those who have shown or judged a competition. Is it too early to show at 20 weeks of age? Many shows here take birds of all ages but do they realistically have a chance of winning in earlier development because they may not have all the right key adults features very pronounced and I maybe would not know this as a judge would. Is it better to wait till older or ok to show at this age?
What breed of bird is it?

Back
Top Bottom