NPIP? Can someone point me in the right direction?

MBLayfield

Songster
12 Years
Oct 22, 2007
Wellsville, UT
I'd like to be tested to become NPIP certified. I've contacted the AG dept here in Utah and was directed to the state vet. The state vet told me what tests needed to be ran. I contacted my vet locally and they have no idea what the pollorum typhoid test is! They (over the phone) looked it up and said the test wasn't even listed in their order book. They had some other test they said they could do at $45.00 a pop which is just a good?! I don't remember what the vet said it was, i guess I lost my hearing or something when I started mentally adding up $45.00 per bird.

So, I emailed the State Vet again and it was like an auto generated email, with the same basic information.

Surely it can't be this hard and EXPENSIVE to be NPIP tested. Can someone tell me their experiences and what you paid approx to be tested? Not trying to be nosy but I'm starting to feel like 1) no one has any idea what i'm talking about and 2) i could be ripped off or spend more than is necessary and 3) maybe i'm confusing the vets etc. because I'm not being clear enough.

Thanks for any and all advise you can give me.

Brandy

Hi,

I had my flock tested and certified last summer. It did not cost me a dime. I e-mailed the department of agriculture for my state and they called me about a week later. I was then called by the poultry technician and a time was set up at my convenience to come out and test the birds. Every one of the birds got a simple blood test and the woman was very nice and professional/ it took about one hour for my entire flock to be done. She explained everything about the program and what my responsibilities were. I recieved a booklet of certificateds to give when i sold a bird or eggs and was told to keep good records and such. Lokk up APHIS and you should find a link for your state and go from there. Good Luck. It's worth it and I feel better about buying eggs and birds from other licenced breeders and backyard farms.

Jen

You need to contact either:

Central Utah Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory
Nephi UT 435-623-1402

or

Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
North Logan UT 435-797-1895

That is out of my NPIP book. And, no it should not cost you $45.00 to be tested.

Thank you for your quick replies! Obviously I've done the wrong research or wasn't clear enough with what I wanted. I kind of thought $45.00 per test per bird was ridiculous!

Thanks for the phone number pips! Logan is next door to me, I appreciate the info.

buzzard chick thanks for clueing me in a little as to the process as well.

I'll call tomorrow and see if I can get the ball rolling again
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom