NPIP Questions for research paper

GrayChickens

Songster
Nov 22, 2019
HI my school said that we have to write a research paper on a topic of our choice. I have chosen to write about the NPIP. My English teacher said to talk to people who are familiar with my topic and can answer some of my questions. So why was the NPIP started? Is any one here apart of of the NPIP? Are there books written about it or articles? When was it formed? I will be doing my own research but know it would be helpful to hear from others. :)
Ps. I'm not sure if this is the right forum in which to place this thread but NPIP is apart of flock maintenance....

Congress enacted NPIP in 1935 because of how Pullorum-Typhoid had nearly decimated the poultry industry.
It is a national program but administered by states so each has their own rules. Basically it requires an annual blood test. In some states it is a percentage of the birds in a flock. In MO, it is every bird on a property over 4 months of age.
Some states allow people to be certified to test their own and neighbors' birds. In MO, one tester visits all small holder flocks in the state. Large hatcheries and commercial growers have their own testers.
Many states have a fee associated with testing. In MO it is free.

https://www.chickenwhisperermagazin...improvement-planprotecting-poultry-since-1935https://www.inpoultry.com/module-5b-testing-poultry-for-pullorumtyphoid-disease/

First of all, good luck on your research and subsequent paper.

NPIP is the acronym for National Poultry Improvement Plan. It is a voluntary program and is for all types of poultry. Only breeding flocks are tested, so the flock must have males and females.

No matter how large or small your flock is, it can be tested. In Alabama, the flock is tested for Salmonella pullorum, Salmonella typhoid, and Avian Influenza.

Birds will be tested annually at no cost to the NPIP participant. If you so choose, your flock can also be tested every 6 months for an “Avian Influenza clean” classification.

It is important to remember that once your flock is certified, ALL additional birds purchased from outside your own flock must be from other NPIP flocks.

Not free in Texas.

http://www.poultryimprovement.org/d...fe353172e-13EC79BE-FC45-419D-9299566840409046
Screenshot_20200212-080226.png

Someone's got to pay for the antigen(I think that's what it's called)
I’m not sure who is charged if not the state ag office. The inspector drove 2 hours, donned the biosecurity suit, set up in my run and, with my help, tested every bird 4 months and older. He sanitized all of his stuff, did all the paperwork then gave me his “hazmat” suit to throw away. It didn’t cost me a dime. I am thankful this service is free here.
712D31BA-9574-4521-AB95-63A5397F9544.jpeg

Someone's got to pay for the antigen(I think that's what it's called)
It is free here in Missouri too, thank God. I'm sure the MO Dept. of Ag. covers the cost.
It isn't a small state (21st in size) and one guy tests every small holder's flock in the state (of those that volunteer for the program)
I know poultry people across the state and every one I mention to the tester when he comes, he can tell me all about their birds and their operations.
There is a charge for any test other than P-T.

Back
Top Bottom