NPIP Questions for research paper

Interesting, a breeder here announced they won't be shipping chicks anymore due to the costs of NPIP certification. Have no clue about the details, and no interest in being NPIP.
You are supposed to be NPIP in order to ship eggs too. That is true for sales in state too even though most people ignore that rule. It has been well worth the effort for me. But that is all it has been is a bit of effort. The tester is usually here by 8 or 9 AM after about a 2 hour drive. I set him up with a table in the middle of all the coops, then I have to catch every bird and carry them to him. What makes it hard is that all my birds are wild. I usually black out all the windows before dawn so it is much easier to catch them.
So you don't know what the cost is in MI?
Never mind, I just looked it up. As of 3 years ago, it was $300 for the initial registration and $125 per year, which doesn't include tester fees:eek: That is an increase from $15 per year.
Whaaat? If that were the case here, I likely wouldn't do it.
It doesn't cost me a red cent to be in the program. :bow
If they do something like that in MO, I'll probably be out of the poultry business. Between that, feed, housing, electricity, brooders, incubators, shippers, et. al.. I would be paying out of pocket for my hobby.
I would probably drop out of the program, close off the flock, build them up, sell the whole operation and move to Costa Rica. Maybe ship my best birds there and start fresh.

Charging those kind of fees will encourage people to sail under the radar making a more unsafe environment for all.

Last edited:
So you don't know what the cost is in MI?
Never mind, I just looked it up. As of 3 years ago, it was $300 for the initial registration and $125 per year, which doesn't include tester fees:eek: That is an increase from $15 per year.
Whaaat? If that were the case here, I likely wouldn't do it.
Good, thanks, cause I wouldn't have ;)

Charging those kind of fees will encourage people to sail under the radar making a more unsafe environment for all.
Even NPIP lets things 'fly under the radar'......but I won't go into that.

Good, thanks, cause I wouldn't have ;)

Even NPIP lets things 'fly under the radar'......but I won't go into that.
It may also be an effort to get small holders out of the poultry business.
I'd bet any money that is their first priority, in addition to getting more money in the mean time.

Plus, I know what a tester fee is - but we don't have those either. :woot

Interesting, a breeder here announced they won't be shipping chicks anymore due to the costs of NPIP certification. Have no clue about the details, and no interest in being NPIP.
In Texas it's the cost of what ever the tester charges plus $100 application fee...per year.

I’m not sure who is charged if not the state ag office. The inspector drove 2 hours, donned the biosecurity suit, set up in my run and, with my help, tested every bird 4 months and older. He sanitized all of his stuff, did all the paperwork then gave me his “hazmat” suit to throw away. It didn’t cost me a dime. I am thankful this service is free here.
View attachment 2024724
Do you enjoy being NPIP certified? What benefits do you as a poulty owner gain from it?

In Texas it's the cost of what ever the tester charges plus $100 application fee...per year.
Ouch!
Do you enjoy being NPIP certified? What benefits do you as a poulty owner gain from it?
I know this wasn't directed at me but I get to ship birds and hatching eggs legally.
Being legal is important to me. I don't need any more problems than I already have.
I also get listed in the Missouri Poultry Yearbook which has all hatcheries and NPIP breeders in the state.

I find these significant monetary differences between states disturbing. I understand that the states are the ones setting the amounts, however, since the state offices fall under a federal agency I would think there would be top limit, at least. I am thankful Alabama is on the “low side.” 🤣 As low as it goes! I’m of the same mindset as @ChickenCanoe. I’m certain it would not be worth my while if my cost was in the hundreds of dollars.

I’m sorry it took a while to respond. I have to say I have seen no benefits from being NPIP certified as of yet, only the peace of mind knowing my birds are clear of Salmonella pullorum, Salmonella typhoid, and Avian Influenza. And since I live right on the GA/AL border, I wanted to make certain I didn’t break any laws if I happened to sell any of my birds or eggs across state lines. The way some of our laws are, it would be just my luck to receive a stiffer sentence for selling eggs across state lines than if I had stolen something.

I am of the old school (and I’m very thankful for this too) that believes in honesty and integrity and I do not like a liar or a thief.

My certification may never be used, but it has not hurt me either and it’s there when and if I do decide to sell.

Back
Top Bottom