NPIP Testing How Is It Done And Cost?

Yoda

Songster
9 Years
Jul 7, 2010
Shady Hills, FL
Can someone please tell me how this test is done and what it cost? Does it go by each bird or just a set price? I do want to get it done but don't know how, when, where and how much LMAO

The cost varies by state. Try contacting your ag extension service or state vet office for pricing info.

When I had mine done, they test every bird on my property. Each bird is caught (we had them penned up already), swabbed in the mouth for avian flu testing, then the tester takes a small sample of blood from under the wing. The blood is mixed with an antibody fluid that will determine if the bird has been exposed or is positive for disease. Then, a numbered metal leg band is put on one of their legs and they are done. Repeat for each bird.

The state sent me a NPIP certification card in the mail in about a month after testing with the leg band numbers listed on it. Any new birds much come from a NPIP flock or be tested ASAP before they can come on your property.

Usually you can call your state agricultural department and either they have someone or can direct you to someone who can do it for you. As for price, everyone does it differently. A tester will order a bottle of the antigen ($100+ for a bottle with 1k test drops in it) and use it for all of their testing, so usually they try to make up that amount, plus they usually have to come to you unless it's only a few birds, so they will sometimes charge travel. The way ours charged was $1 per bird- that covered their travel, the antigen, the needles (and other supplies). Others will charge a fee based on a range of bird numbers (say 1-25 is $25 or something like that). I'm certified to do it, and I think I would also probably go $1 a bird. So I'm afraid pricing is very variable.

As for how it is done, you will have to make sure all your birds are where you can catch them and separate out the ones you've tested after testing so you make sure you get every bird tested (we did this by locking everyone up when they roosted for the night, and taking them out one by one, but our flock is fairly large... with just a few you may know them all by sight). The tester will take each bird in a brightly lit area, and make a pinprick on the vein under the wing. They will use a loop tool (usually the tool is a needle/loop combo like so: http://www.cutlersupply.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_81&products_id=458 ) and scoop a drop of blood. They will have placed drops of antigen on a testing plate of some sort (usually a plexiglass or plastic square plate with 1 inch squares carved into it, a drop on each square), and they will rub the blood into the antigen and let it sit.

A positive test will almost immediately look like someone put sand into the antigen. It's VERY obvious, but it's also very rare. If the test is negative, the antigen will remain looking like a purple-y blue liquid. If the test does come back positive, do not panic. The tester will usually re-test that bird after a bit, from the other wing. Sometimes it shoes negative after that, and the bird will be considered clean. If a second test is positive, they will bring the matter to the state, who will take the bird for further testing (the bird will probably not return from this unfortunately)

As the testers test, they should be recording all the information about every bird they test- gender and breed. So be ready to answer those questions. They are not required to band your birds, sometimes they do. They may or may not charge for bands, it is tester preference there.

At the end, you will be given one of the copies of the test results and probably have to pay a fee for the registration of your flock with the state (or federally, which you may as well do). The fee here is $25, but I don't honestly know if that is the same around the states. They will send in the paperwork, and once it's been processed, you will receive your certification and flock identification number. Every year you will have to be recertified. By getting the certification you are agreeing not to introduce non-certified fowl into your flock (meaning you only acquire eggs or birds who are similarly clean), and you also agree you are not exposing your clean birds to birds who are not clean. Doing either of those can void your own certification (and you paid for it, so it would be silly to void that!). You can, of course, acquire new birds and have them individually certified before introducing them to your flock if they have been acquired from questionable sources.

Hope that answers your questions!

Last edited:
Wondering, if I buy fertile eggs which come with an NPIP certificate, do those chicks need to be tested again?
That is a great question.. this is what i found.. one year i ordered some chicks for some 4-h kids, they had to have a copy of the NPIP certificate from the hatcher which the hatchery provided for a small fee so these chicks could raised up and be entered into the show, i do not believe that chicks are ever tested when they are small but the parents are , so i would think that eggs would be the same as chicks when it came to having an NPIP certificate from the breeder and owner of the flock, then if you decide to bred for yourseland want to sell over state lines you will need to get your own testing done..

I am going to Florida at the end of the month and all the paper work will accompany my birds back to Texas so i will know for sure how this works after this trip, testing is done once a year so unless he hangs onto birds or has the testing done during breeding season i do not see how these chicks could be tested would not be very profitable to have the testers come out every time you had a hatch so i believe if the eggs or chicks are from tested flocks one only needs a copy of the certificate and a statement from the breeder that these chicks came from tested flocks

There is a lot of variance from state to state and you should check with your state for what is required.

I got my certification to test this last spring and had the vet come out and do the testing with me the first time, a great learning experience, but costly. From now on I will test my own flock without her every spring before hatching season.

Birds under four months old are not required to be tested in Kansas. Chicks and eggs are covered in the flock test for shipping across state lines, but you have to check with the receiving state for additional requirements. If I sell at home no testing is required, all sales off property are and you can be fined if caught. The truth is that they do not go out and actively look for these 'illegal' sales.

Be careful, I do know of one local here in Ks. that is a certified tester and she advertises her flock as NPIP tested flock. I know that she has not done it for three years, buyer beware. It is a lot of work so you need to be pretty serious to do it.

In Nebraska the state does it for you at no charge, perhaps you will luck out too.

An update to my last reply; I found that the state of Kansas will do NPIP flock testing at no charge and do mine every year. The vet brings out about three vet students and would do it all by themselves if I would let them. I do all the catching, they do the bleeding and grading and paperwork, I pay for nothing except for the AI lab testing which is done twice per year. They pay for one testing and I have to pay for the second AI test. It takes six of us about four hours to catch every bird so it is a daunting task. The hardest part is catching all those damn free range guineas.

Back
Top Bottom