In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 27, 2011
N.W. Ohio
wee.gif
I just got my NPIP # in the mail.
woot.gif
Should I be this excited?

We had it done for our sons 4-H project. And yes we had the A\\I done also. We have no plans of selling anything, but is nice to feel like we have done something good.

Quote:
i recently got mine and havent decided if i want to partake in the Certified Avian clean bs. They test monthly I think the guy said. thats alot of birds to test monthly.

NPIP is usually not something for backyard flocks since it was designed to protect the food supply, not to certify flocks disease free (which it does not do). If you show or you are a breeder, it makes sense, of course. If you intended to mail out hatching eggs as a breeder or start sending live birds through the mail, you would need that.

If it included mycoplasma testing, it would make more sense for a backyard flock owner. In most states, maybe all, you can get that extra test for extra $$$, but it must be done quarterly, if I recall, not annually like the P/T.

Quote:
i recently got mine and havent decided if i want to partake in the Certified Avian clean bs. They test monthly I think the guy said. thats alot of birds to test monthly.

In SC (some I would guess it is the same everywhere: which is a CRAZY assumption with the government) to be AI Clean the swab test is done on 30 breeder birds every 6 months.

Back
Top Bottom