New here never joined any blogs before but have found a ton of useful info here. We have our first set of eggs starting to hatch, help

Pictures of the egg would be good.

Some clarification on what you mean by "sack" would be helpful. If the duckling appears to have leftover yolk, and it's still absorbing around its navel area, I would suggest your bring it inside, and if you have one, set her in an incubator inside a bowl with clean, dry towels. Keeping her outside, with yolk exposed is pouring gasoline on a fire, as if any little bacteria gets on the yolk, it will flourish, and spread, which may result in a yolk sac infection which tends to fare poor prognosis.

If your duckling looks like this on the other hand,

1603626262516.png

https://www.riverbendfarmtasmania.com/eggtopsy

I would still bring it inside, but moisten the outside of the membrane with some coconut oil, try to locate her bill, and gently try to make an opening around her face so she can breathe. After that, the egg will need to be accessed to determine if there are active veins within the egg, and if she is still absorbing yolk.

:welcome

Best of luck with the hatch :fl

@Isaac 0 has a lot of duck experience, he may be able to help.
:welcome

Best of luck with the hatch :fl

@Isaac 0 has a lot of duck experience, he may be able to help.
Debbie , You come up with some of the best Avatars I see . That cat you have today , and that skull with it's hand on it's chin oh! and the other cat . I see hidden talent .

Pictures of the egg would be good.

Some clarification on what you mean by "sack" would be helpful. If the duckling appears to have leftover yolk, and it's still absorbing around its navel area, I would suggest your bring it inside, and if you have one, set her in an incubator inside a bowl with clean, dry towels. Keeping her outside, with yolk exposed is pouring gasoline on a fire, as if any little bacteria gets on the yolk, it will flourish, and spread, which may result in a yolk sac infection which tends to fare poor prognosis.

If your duckling looks like this on the other hand,

View attachment 2386418
https://www.riverbendfarmtasmania.com/eggtopsy

I would still bring it inside, but moisten the outside of the membrane with some coconut oil, try to locate her bill, and gently try to make an opening around her face so she can breathe. After that, the egg will need to be accessed to determine if there are active veins within the egg, and if she is still absorbing yolk.

Thank you for your input and help Isaac!

Back
Top Bottom