nubian goats

How cold hardy are you looking for? They are definitely Tennessee cold hardy, if that if what you are interested in knowing. They do well in colder climates too, given proper shelter. Their ear tips can become frost bitten because there is a lot of surface area (my boer goat, who has long dangly ears like nubians got some ear tip frostbite when the derp wouldn't go into their shelter one day), just like roosters with huge combs can get frostbitten, too. But it was over 20 degrees below zero that day, plus a wicked north wind to further chill things.

Nubians come from Africa so they normally do better in warmer climats (A lot better than the Swiss breeds) but as long as they have shelter in the winter from snow and rain they'll do fine... what are you wanting them for?

in jerusalem on the mountain (as we call ourselves here up 750 meters, judean hills), our nubians did great. no problems whatsoever. super hardy, super vocal, super milkers, super friendly and great mothers. i really dislike swiss type goasts (those white zaanan goats in particular).
nubians get great winter coats,long and furry. their feet did well here (pretty low rainfall though, but rocky rocky rocky) and their goat house was only partially closed. (only in high winter, january/february did we use some canvas sheeting as a wind buffer/window, mostly because of possible kidding when we werent around to help if needed with cold kid). i even slept in with them one night while waiting for a kidding. they make great pillows, and are super motherly to sleep with (i know thats wierd, but, well, there is a reason people used to sleep in mangers with the animals. also, goats smell great.)

Back
Top Bottom