Nuisance nights.

I’ve had Guinea Fowl now for almost 4 years. Lately my birds have gotten extremely noisy at night. I don’t mind their shenanigans during the daytime but it is getting out of control. I’m ready to fill my freezer or sell them on at this point. I need some help!

I coop them at dark, most will go into their coop which is a 10x10 kennel with a top and two tarps on the sides to give some wind and rain cover. Nothing environmentally has changes over the past few year. I’ve 14 adults now. It’s extremely annoying at nighttime and seems to go on for hours at times. It’s got to be pushing the neighbors buttons even at 100-200 yrds away the sound travels very well.

Options I considered, adding a light, fully enclosing the kennel (wood and materials are extremely high now so I’d prefer options.
thanks to all for the help and advice. This has been an ongoing problem now for 3-4 months and seems to be getting worse.
Our females are loud at night during the spring but then quiet down in summer.

I believe I had possibly overreacted (no!!!) to the change in season with their behavior this spring. I failed to realize it’s been 2 or more years since I’ve had more than 6 in my flock. My trail cam did show a possum scampering about near my fox traps plus I’ve noticed several males courting for gals during the day. More chasing about than normal I’d say.
It just makes sense. Whew! I was worried I might have to loose a few troublemakers and now I feel some relief will be coming along soon.

I have made sure I get all the Guinea in the same coop at night as well. Several hatched by my Saxony duck prefer to bed down or roost with the ducks. I’ve made an effort to keep them all in the same coop so they don’t squawk back and forth from separation. Things do seem to have quieted down somewhat, even a marginal gain is progress…

Thanks to all who have provided advice and input. I will post back in weeks to come with updates and progress

I believe I had possibly overreacted (no!!!) to the change in season with their behavior this spring. I failed to realize it’s been 2 or more years since I’ve had more than 6 in my flock. My trail cam did show a possum scampering about near my fox traps plus I’ve noticed several males courting for gals during the day. More chasing about than normal I’d say.
It just makes sense. Whew! I was worried I might have to loose a few troublemakers and now I feel some relief will be coming along soon.

I have made sure I get all the Guinea in the same coop at night as well. Several hatched by my Saxony duck prefer to bed down or roost with the ducks. I’ve made an effort to keep them all in the same coop so they don’t squawk back and forth from separation. Things do seem to have quieted down somewhat, even a marginal gain is progress…

Thanks to all who have provided advice and input. I will post back in weeks to come with updates and progress
Best of luck! We’ve had storms rolling through all day and our guineas have been continually calling and alarming at the rain and thunder!

Back
Top Bottom